Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as much as tried to do, my girl passed away, apparently during the night. She was the same when I fed last night, but I found her this morning with her wings slightly spread out ready to take her final flight.
I only wish I had gotten her to a vet sooner instead of thinking I could take care of her.
I had an oops baby 3 days ago and it almost seems like that baby came knowing that she was about to go.
I lost another of my well-trained girls on Wednesday from a memorial release. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that she gets home. I can't think of any other reason than a hawk.
2 girls in one week is almost too much to bear.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so sorry to hear it, you did alot to save her, it must of been something complicated, but it is still hard no knowing what took her. try to enjoy the new baby.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm so sorry. I thought about her all day.
Having a vet you can trust is so important when you have a sick bird. As much as we can help, we just don't have the tools to make a diagnosis and in the end, our opinions are just guesses.
It might not be a bad idea to take her body in tomorrow. Could be that what ever illness she had, you other birds should be treated for.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry Nita. My darling fantail is ill too, I took her to an avian vet as my own vet wasn't available and I followed the vet's instructions, but when I weighed her after one week I found she had lost 90 gms .:eek:

If one of my pigeons dies I feel that taking it to a vet would have made all the difference, but I honestly can't think of a single pigeon that was saved due to veterinary intervention. I am not saying that sick pigeons shouldn't be taken to a vet, just that taking her to the vet earlier is unlikely to have affected the outcome.

However, I have to say that it is different with mammals, my regular vet saved my dog's life.

Cynthia

·
Registered
128 Posts
So sorry for your loss Nita, please try to remember the good times and hopefully your other girl was just waiting to guide your girl who passed on her way and will now return as her job is done, Michelle. Pleae let us know how her baby is coping?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My woops baby actually wasn't born to my hen that passed.
But I did have to give the baby to surrogate parents (they were on wooden eggs for about 2 weeks). Thankfully they are taking good care of it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts