Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rare colored homer pair and I want to breed them for about a month now and the only thing I got was a small egg that ended up broken, In your Experience/Opinion what could prevent a pair from laying eggs?
I separated them and re-paired them but no luck .. I want all the possiblities ... since the hen layed a small egg I don't think she is baren
They aren't old maybe 2-3 years old , loved their colour and I really want to breed them out and train their Offspring

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
In my personal experience...this happened

•I had some cocks who would make their hens lay only once or twice an year. Some cocks do not do their "work" properly.

•Your hen may not be currently stimulated to lay. Sometimes they take time. Is she moulting or something. Are days getting shorter where you live??? Are winters around the corner???

•Have you used any deworming medicine lately?(Especially ivermectin or any med containing ivermectin) bcuz it can cause temporary infertility.

•Are you sure your birds are free from coccidiosis???

•Did you try clipping the feathers near the vent of your pair???

•Did you try giving her a little calcium and vitamin supplements???

I'm not scaring or confusing you as others might think, just weighing the possible causes if you sure the birds are of opposite sex and your hen is not barren and your hen is neither sexually immature nor very old :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thank you for answering .. No you are not scaring me because I know that in the pigeon world everything is possible.
yes day got darker and shorter winter is on doors here

they are not moulting

I didn't worm them since I bring them, they were my friend's. will ask him if he did

For coccidiosis I don't know but they never showed any symptoms their poops look normal.

Well I didn't clip their vent feathers but I usually don't , and everything goes OK

For Calcium this is the possibility i was thinking about since the hen already layed but a VERY small egg.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If a hen stops laying or only lays a few eggs, or just one and then you know she is a hen and you get no eggs for months on end, then she could be infertile or poor fertility. I would add vitmins and minerals plus calcium suppliment and hope for the best. because you said they were a rare color it is possible infertility could be genetic if these are from too close genetic lines.

·
Registered
838 Posts
did you give them vitamin and mineral? or in another word: oyster shell and grit?

Are you sure that they are 2-3 years old?? because that is not young, that is pretty old. Do they gave band on their leg?

The only think i can think of is that, the hen may be a young one and maybe its her first time laying. first time laying my be a small golf ball size egg. Commonly, they may lay one infertile normal size egg. Although sometime first time egg are fertile and normal.

Yes, i have young hen this year; 5 months old that already starting laying. oh boy, winter is approach but her mate is still in heat. Anyway, yea she only laid 1 egg and its infertile. I let her have it for 2 weeks and they abandon it when it didnt hatch. I think they are going for another try but i wont let them. I have to replace with fake eggs and waith till spring on next year.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a hen stops laying or only lays a few eggs, or just one and then you know she is a hen and you get no eggs for months on end, then she could be infertile or poor fertility. I would add vitmins and minerals plus calcium suppliment and hope for the best. because you said they were a rare color it is possible infertility could be genetic if these are from too close genetic lines.
Well, I just added Vitamines and Grit, their owner says they are brother and sister not sure if from the same clutch, their bands say nothing ...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you give them vitamin and mineral? or in another word: oyster shell and grit?

Are you sure that they are 2-3 years old?? because that is not young, that is pretty old. Do they gave band on their leg?

The only think i can think of is that, the hen may be a young one and maybe its her first time laying. first time laying my be a small golf ball size egg. Commonly, they may lay one infertile normal size egg. Although sometime first time egg are fertile and normal.

Yes, i have young hen this year; 5 months old that already starting laying. oh boy, winter is approach but her mate is still in heat. Anyway, yea she only laid 1 egg and its infertile. I let her have it for 2 weeks and they abandon it when it didnt hatch. I think they are going for another try but i wont let them. I have to replace with fake eggs and waith till spring on next year.
I had a 10 years old pair and they layed and raised for a pretty long time after , I don't think 3 years old is actually very OLD for pigeons ... their bands are blue and nothing is written on them!

I know that young hens lay only one small sized (infertile) egg for the first time, but she isn't actually young, they mate and nest but still nothing, I'll try adding some Extra Vitamins and Calcium to their diet and hope for the best as Spirit wings said.
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had a 10 years old pair and they layed and raised for a pretty long time after , I don't think 3 years old is actually very OLD for pigeons ... their bands are blue and nothing is written on them!

I know that young hens lay only one small sized (infertile) egg for the first time, but she isn't actually young, they mate and nest but still nothing, I'll try adding some Extra Vitamins and Calcium to their diet and hope for the best as Spirit wings said.
Thank you for your reply
What i meant is that 2-3 year old is pretty old bird and should have had many times experience with rearing and raising young. Sorry if i wasnt clear on that.

yes, try adding some supplement and see if that will do the trick.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Well, I just added Vitamines and Grit, their owner says they are brother and sister not sure if from the same clutch, their bands say nothing ...
humm that my be a issue but unlikely. Though its debatable for inbreeding.

Try getting the hen to pair up with another cock birds. If she does not lay, then you will get your answer. She may in fact infertile. But infertile hen do lay normal eggs. but the eggs are just yolk-less.

Another thing that some members brought up is that she may be egg binding or could be sick.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you sev3ns0uls , Will wait and see the effect of the added Supplements, if still nothing I will pair the cock to another hen and the hen to another cock!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An Update

Hi everyone the couple layed one egg today (a typical size one), after days of waiting I don't know if that make sense but I Added supplement and I put one egg in their nest ... I think that encouraged them to nest also I exposed their nest box to as much as possible of sun rays!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts