Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It seems fine to me. I suppose the front is all wire cage and acts like an aviary. Bu how are you going to catch them if you want to? I also would probably put some vent on the enclosed area above for the heat to escape. I don't know what kind of pigeons you are going to put there, but if it is a homer, then you need a trapping device. Keep us updated.

ps. I don't know why, but this reminds me of a chicken loft.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
That's a nice looking loft you got there. How many birds are you planning to keep? I agree with Rod about the ventilation. You want to make sure your birds get enough air running through the loft to keep things fresh.

·
Registered
822 Posts
What are the dimensions? Is there a door on the other end so you can get in and clean? You will want to add perches (and boxes, if you'll be breeding) on the inside. Maybe your builder could cut some windows in .... this would provide both light and ventilation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i plan on keeping racing pigeons.. i am just starting into it with the kids. only constructive comments please. i need to make this thing work! the guy who built this did a good job. now i need to make it into a loft. please comment on what i can do please.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's a nice looking loft.
Now this is just my opinion, but you may want err on the side of caution in regard to the size of the chicken mess your using.I have seen a pigeon's head get stuck in that size.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Where is your trap system? If you don't have like raccoon or any animal that has strong teeth, then the chicken wire is probably fine. But if you do, then a stronger hardware cloth like Cindy says is a better one. I also have a question about the nest boxes if they are indeed nest boxes. How deep are they? Because pigeon poops a lot, the easier to clean the nest boxes the better.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree, the open front was better for pigeons I think, and replacing the chicken wire with 1" hardware cloth. No windows? How do they get any light? fresh air? Also, your V-perches need to be redone. I don't think your pijies will like perching on the sharp V. You should check out Jedds or Foys to see what the V perches usually look like. The "point" of the inverted V is flat for ease of perching. I don't think it would feel good to perch on a point?

It's a nice starter loft though, I am sure some of the racing folks will help steer you in the right direction.

My best advice? Listen to everyone. I tried to resist in the beginning of building my loft, and am SO glad I listened to everyone's advice!!! My end result is so much more spectacular because of the people on this site. They have suggestions based on experience and knowledge, and told me things I would not have thought about or considered. Seriously. They know what they're talking about and listening to them will save you pains in the butt in the future. LOL
:D

You can see my loft here:
Maybe get some ideas?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70914&id=719451408&l=794c3a2e45

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=82894&id=719451408&l=b700081668

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Dave,
I have opossums here, but I have never seen a raccoon. Obviously almost all my neighbors have guard dogs so maybe the raccoons are not adventurous at my place. Raccoons do exist here in San Diego, but I am spared of not having one. I am partly lucky. LOL! The opossums visit me almost every night. I give it pigeon eggs.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts