Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new best friend and just wanted to share! Homer was hatched 9/6 with a little one who did not make it. He is the result of my egg swapping experience with spirit wings-a racing homer! I must say he is the brightest baby I've ever met. He is bold and fearless and a very quick study! He is my absolute first homing pigeon so don't have anything but fancy pigeons to compare. I love each and every one but this guy takes bird intelligence to a whole new level. Are all homers like this or do I just have a one in a million?:cool:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
anyone care to say what color he is?..I was guessing an ash red? or just a red check?... he really is a cutie!!! if I do say so my self..lol.. She wanted white homers..and this one..well, he had other plans....lol..

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks spirit wings for getting his pic up there! And thanks, Mary of Exeter! I have an ash red check! Did I mention how smart and beautiful he is? Don't know if I'll ever be able to let this little dude out of my site!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spirit wings, I never should have bothered with a trap. As smart as he is, I could just give him a key and tell him to be home before dark! I am seriously blown away by this guy(couldn't tell could ya?)! I really love his coloring, too. I have NEVER had a pigeon like this! Just the look on his face (and that big honking beak!) speaks volumes.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Spirit wings, I never should have bothered with a trap. As smart as he is, I could just give him a key and tell him to be home before dark! I am seriously blown away by this guy(couldn't tell could ya?)! I really love his coloring, too. I have NEVER had a pigeon like this! Just the look on his face (and that big honking beak!) speaks volumes.
I know what you mean.. having homers has been a very rewarding hobbie for me..even with all the pretty breeds out there, homers are it for me.. I love my fancies..but homers are cream of the crop IMO...even if they are not "fancy" to look at... the whites are beautiful too..hope to get you some of those as well.. you will love them all and want to build a new loft with just homers in it!...lol...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I've gone and spoiled him. He likes to have his back rubbed while he eats. If I stop, he stops eating and gives me a questioning look. I wish you could all see him up close and personal. He is so beautiful!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok, I've gone and spoiled him. He likes to have his back rubbed while he eats. If I stop, he stops eating and gives me a questioning look. I wish you could all see him up close and personal. He is so beautiful!
awsome...Im so glad he makes you happy.:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Awww! He is such a cutie!! Sounds like he is in good hands and doveone52 has a new buddy! Thanks for sharing!

G

·
well enjoy it while it last because so many people get upset when their birds mature lol hopefully yours wont slap you around like so many others tend to do:p

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I hope not too, Lakota! I kind of think we're soul mates, though. I've seen a lot of birds go that way but it's OK. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Homer and I are having some "me" time now. He's just had his after breakfast canary seeds and is nestled down in his feed bowl. I gave him a medicine cup of water and he seemed to say that's just what I needed. His little head goes like a jack hammer at those seeds! I'll send spirit wings a new pic soon to post. He gets prettier every day!
He's even got the "sling the food and water as far as possible" thing down pat!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Homer has a new buddy! I had my 5 yr old grandson over last night and he sat in a chair and fed Homer canary seed out of the palm of his hand. Mason would pause and make him drink from the medicine cup after I explained to him that eating seed is thirsty business. I so wish I'd gotten a picture! Anyway, Homer makes another conquest!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Homer is looking like a real pigeon at 3 wks! He's been helping with the other birds today. He's also been exercising his wings quite a bit! He still loves his Mama-goes off to investigate stuff then runs to me squeaking and pecking my ankles! He discovered the bird in the mirror today (knows he's good looking!) He also loves to be held and rubbed. He'll stretch up to meet my hand like a cat. Hope to get pics up tonight!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well, Homer is looking like a real pigeon at 3 wks! He's been helping with the other birds today. He's also been exercising his wings quite a bit! He still loves his Mama-goes off to investigate stuff then runs to me squeaking and pecking my ankles! He discovered the bird in the mirror today (knows he's good looking!) He also loves to be held and rubbed. He'll stretch up to meet my hand like a cat. Hope to get pics up tonight!
That is so stinkin' cute!!!!!!! you must get tickled by him and his sweetness..:)
your Grandson is so lucky to have his Granma in his life...good job Granma!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts