Pigeon-Talk banner

My new best friend, Homer

Tags
homer baby
6K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  doveone52 
#1 ·
I have a new best friend and just wanted to share! Homer was hatched 9/6 with a little one who did not make it. He is the result of my egg swapping experience with spirit wings-a racing homer! I must say he is the brightest baby I've ever met. He is bold and fearless and a very quick study! He is my absolute first homing pigeon so don't have anything but fancy pigeons to compare. I love each and every one but this guy takes bird intelligence to a whole new level. Are all homers like this or do I just have a one in a million?:cool:

#6 ·
Spirit wings, I never should have bothered with a trap. As smart as he is, I could just give him a key and tell him to be home before dark! I am seriously blown away by this guy(couldn't tell could ya?)! I really love his coloring, too. I have NEVER had a pigeon like this! Just the look on his face (and that big honking beak!) speaks volumes.

#7 ·
I know what you mean.. having homers has been a very rewarding hobbie for me..even with all the pretty breeds out there, homers are it for me.. I love my fancies..but homers are cream of the crop IMO...even if they are not "fancy" to look at... the whites are beautiful too..hope to get you some of those as well.. you will love them all and want to build a new loft with just homers in it!...lol...

#49 ·
Wing slap

SRY I had to laugh, I have had so many young that just would not leave you alone for the attention, it always happens that the cutiest ones turn out to be as the name states cocky. They do come around though, I have even gotten birds from others that would have nothing to do with me from the start but now eat out of my hand and will even perch on my arm and do a little pigeon talking;). >Kevin

#13 ·
Homer and I are having some "me" time now. He's just had his after breakfast canary seeds and is nestled down in his feed bowl. I gave him a medicine cup of water and he seemed to say that's just what I needed. His little head goes like a jack hammer at those seeds! I'll send spirit wings a new pic soon to post. He gets prettier every day!
He's even got the "sling the food and water as far as possible" thing down pat!

#18 ·
Homer has a new buddy! I had my 5 yr old grandson over last night and he sat in a chair and fed Homer canary seed out of the palm of his hand. Mason would pause and make him drink from the medicine cup after I explained to him that eating seed is thirsty business. I so wish I'd gotten a picture! Anyway, Homer makes another conquest!

#19 ·
Well, Homer is looking like a real pigeon at 3 wks! He's been helping with the other birds today. He's also been exercising his wings quite a bit! He still loves his Mama-goes off to investigate stuff then runs to me squeaking and pecking my ankles! He discovered the bird in the mirror today (knows he's good looking!) He also loves to be held and rubbed. He'll stretch up to meet my hand like a cat. Hope to get pics up tonight!

#21 ·
Oh, Michelle, I can't begin to tell you how adorable he is! It's all I can do to tear myself away and get some work done around here.
I honestly don't know if I can ever let him out of the house much less into the wild blue yonder! He's just a sweetheart that doesn't come along every day.

#22 ·
Haven't posted about Homer in a few days. He continues to be my constant companion and bff! I ran an inch of barely warm water in the bath tub today and let him take his first bath! He had the time of his little 4wk old life!-rolling around trying to get under his wings! I put a deeper large bowl in and he was able to duck his little head and throw the water over his back. The best part was wrapping him in a fluffy towel and holding him till he dried!
Homer goes with me to tend the other birds every day so he can learn how to be a pigeon. He's got the "head peck, wing slap" thing down pat so he doesn't get picked on but he wants me in his sight at all times. I've been thinking the only place my homer knows how to home is to my shoulder! And I've got the scratches around my neck to prove it! Not a bad thing, is it?
He's my little pride and joy! I have pics on facebook I'll try to transfer here tonight!

#23 ·
GREAT NEWS, Doveone!!

Will look forward to the "Adventures of Homer" as the days go by!!

He certainly does sound like he has "bonded" to you. Sometimes, there are very special pigeons that come along who seem to have something "extra special!"

Looking forward to your updates!

Sending Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi :)

#25 ·
Thank you sooo much spirit wings! Don't mind one bit! I'm so proud of him, i want to show him to the world!
I had an early AM dr's appt and overslept so didn't have time to take care of the birds until after. Well, I don't think I've been missed so much in my entire life! Homer got out first as usual and the whole time I cleaned up after the indoor birds, I could hear the flutter of wings coming up on me! Everywhere I moved, Homer was sure to follow. He's getting to be a really good little flyer!
Tried some PG wear on him that I'd used for some rollers and thought they might fit since he's a baby but no, he will need made to order for his big self.

#26 ·
Shi, thanks for the encouragement! I totally agree that Homer and I are truly bonded. I've raised plenty of babies and they are cute when they squeak after you and all. And some continue to be friendly even after they go out with the big guys, others, not so much. It's always been fine with me. I just want them to have happy and healthy pigeon lives. I love every one of them. but this Homer is a whole new experience for me. I didn't want to handle him too much at first but his hatch mate died on day 6. Homer was starting to toddle around outside the nest so I just brought him in with me. From the very start, he has been utterly enchanting and he seems to feel the same about me! Go figure!

#28 ·
Oh MY!! Homer is one BEAUTIFUL pigeon!! Love his coloring!!

Is there any reason that Homer couldn't become a "house" pij??? I say this because he seems so bonded to you. If he's anything like MR. Squeaks, YOU will become his "mate!" Now there's an experience!!

Yes, that's one thing about Boni's PGWear, they are "custom" made! Boni hadn't developed her PGWear when I bought a Flight Suit for Squeaks and had to try THREE different sizes because he was so much bigger than the suits for "pigeons!"

We will eagerly look forward to further adventures in the life of Homer and his "mate" to be...:D :D :D

Love, Hugs, and Scritches

Shi and MR. Squeaks :)

#30 ·
Shi, I don't see how he can be anything but a "house pigeon"! He tells me in everyway he knows how that he is happiest with me. And I'm awfully happy having him with me!
Homer says thanks for the compliment! I don't have anything his color and I find it just beautiful. He was supposed to be white but I think such a special pigeon just had to be a special color! What does Mr. Squeaks think of him?

#31 ·
LOL

MR. Squeaks agrees with me that Homer is VERY handsome and applauds his choice of a human mate! :cool:

Of course, Homer seems much more laid back as MR. Squeaks is "attitude" personified!

Squeaks also thinks that Homer won't have any problem "training" you as his special human. Homer is well on his way to being "Master of His Domain!" ;)

Squeaks and I agree: WINGS UP to you both with Love, Hugs and Scritches!!

Shi and MR. Squeaks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.