Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are my new white homer chicks!!!!
i am handfeeding them!!!

could only do one... if that even worked???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh my! how cute.....but please do not let your lovebird in with the babies, their hook bills can hurt them very quick, and the disease transfer...who knows.... pigeon;s, doves with hook billed birds is a big no no....and no...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya i know... they are not there all the time but when i let the lovebirds out... well the one in the pics always goes to them and starts to clean the dried formula, preens them, and then spreads out his wings and tries to cover them.. so cute so we thinks its afemale... don'y worry they are always suppervised and are together for only short periods.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ya i know... they are not there all the time but when i let the lovebirds out... well the one in the pics always goes to them and starts to clean the dried formula, preens them, and then spreads out his wings and tries to cover them.. so cute so we thinks its afemale... don'y worry they are always suppervised and are together for only short periods.
it only take a blink of the eye and they can be hurt badley. the transfer of bacteria or disease with chicks without full immune systems is a real danger, no matter how cute it seems...they should be away from the other birds.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok sorry, they will never ever every come in contact with other birds again. but the parents could tranfer disease anyway if they are aloud to fly and there is a way bigger chance of catching it from flying pigeons than little house birds... but don't worry i still love pigeons

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh... oops... that's a doll not a real baby!!!!!!! thanks for your concern though!!!!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
ok sorry, they will never ever every come in contact with other birds again. but the parents could tranfer disease anyway if they are aloud to fly and there is a way bigger chance of catching it from flying pigeons than little house birds... but don't worry i still love pigeons
I hate to take away from the cuteness of the pic, but it would of not been fair to you if I did not say anything. as far as the diseases go, parent birds on eggs and or raising babies are not let out to fly, just in case something could happen to one or both parents...Ive seen it too much here and then only one bird is left to raise them or they then need handfeeding which is second best for the young.The squabs get their immunity from their parents, they harbor and keep the same type of bacteria....unless the parents were sick from the beginning then the babies are not at risk from their own parents. it is birds from outside the loft caged or not that can introduce new things...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok,
Thanks for the information... it was my mistake and don't feel bad for your concern. As you see I have never raised birds before, and these were from the breeder that was cleaning out his breeder loft and was going to kill them!!! Any comments are appreciated and none are just let go... I’m trying to get as much information as possible...

I was wondering though, when racing and raising pigeons on the widowhood system, the males or female are let out to fly in the races, and then come
Yes you are right about that, but if it were me I would use fake eggs with the widow hen/cock, and not purposflully try to orphan my young. but if one gets good a handrearing and has the time and does not mind doing it, that can be a life saver.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i have a friend who had baby mourning doves and her grey at first was very sweet to them and actually fed them, but sure enough she bit the beak of one of the doves when she was trying to feed them and mamed her for life

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a friend who had baby mourning doves and her grey at first was very sweet to them and actually fed them, but sure enough she bit the beak of one of the doves when she was trying to feed them and mamed her for life
thats really sad!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts