Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm new to the pigeon world and wanted to get some input on a new loft i've started building. I don't have much space, but i wanted to make a small loft for 4-6 homers. I also wanted to do it cheaply, so I tried to scavenge or get a good deal on the materials, without making it too janky though. I used 2 x 4s for the frame that I painted with some exterior house paint. The dimension are 2'x4' and the unit is 5' tall. The loft space itself is 42" tall. The exterior is 1x8" redwood fencing that i salvaged from a barn. Its good quality and I'm not planning on painting it, as it should be ok here in california, but I am worried about drafts moving through the cracks between boards. since its redwood I also wasn't planning on painting it either. Let me know what y'all think, your comments are much appreciated. I will keep you posted with more pics and the designs later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sides... & Thoughts...

Gurbir...

Looks like in the second picture both sides have been covered with siding...

Bluedingo...

Not sure where you are getting your birds, but unless you start with un-flown "squeakers", plan how you will clean your loft without allowing the birds to escape.. Old birds will try to go home and be lost... An attached fly cage with door is how I achieved this on my first loft... Shoo the buggers into the flight, close the door, then the loft is yours to work on or clean without worrying about escapee's...

Looks good so far...

Keep-em-Flying...

Dr.E... :cool:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Oh i didn't notice the siding in the second picture lol, thanks Dr. E. Ummm as for the cleaning bit i agree with E. (ryhmes..lol..kinda) any who i would suggest making a small section on the side that you can put all the birds in while cleaning the loft. Or, you could catch them all, and put them into a box, crate, or a chicken wire cage thingy i have.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it is very cute...I would not put more than 2 birds in there though...they need at least 2 ft square per bird...I would put an aviary on it so they can get out in the sun or go back in the loft at will...but if they will be homers you could always let them out to loft fly often...I would not use chicken wire.. rodents will go in there. and critters could reach in...so use 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware cloth...if you put a nest box in there looks like a nice spot for a breeding pair..but then you would have to find more room for the babies:eek:...:)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would agree that 2 birds should be the limit and that really would be a good amount to begin with.
I also agree that cleaning and feeding could be an issue with the birds getting out when you open the cage door.
FYI...pigeons do prefer flat perches and shelves. You will also want a nest box for your pair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your suggestions, they're much appreciated. So, in regards to a few of your comments:
1) Cleaning: As for cleaning, i was thinking of putting in an aviary at the bottom left half of the front that will be 12x24x21 with a drop in door.
2)# of birds: Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've read that pigeons need around 2 sq. per bird. With that in mind, wouldn't the 10' sq feet total (incl. the aviary) be able to support 4-5 birds?
3) Nest boxes and perches: I'll be sure to put some in, what dimension of nest boxes do y'all recommend?
More pics to come tomorrow, Thanks, Pigeon Talk Rocks!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks all for your suggestions, they're much appreciated. So, in regards to a few of your comments:
1) Cleaning: As for cleaning, i was thinking of putting in an aviary at the bottom left half of the front that will be 12x24x21 with a drop in door.
2)# of birds: Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've read that pigeons need around 2 sq. per bird. With that in mind, wouldn't the 10' sq feet total (incl. the aviary) be able to support 4-5 birds?
3) Nest boxes and perches: I'll be sure to put some in, what dimension of nest boxes do y'all recommend?
More pics to come tomorrow, Thanks, Pigeon Talk Rocks!
2 x 4 is 8...so yes only two birds even with the aviary....better to have a little more room than not enough.....2 to 3 ft square per bird.....:)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Excellent, just checking. Looks like I'll be building another loft when my pair starts breeding!
LOL.....you might as well get started on the OTHER loft............one pair of birds can turn into many REALLY quick!!

For a nest box, you could either put one box across the back wall or put two on the right or left side, one on top of the other. The pair either needs a box big enough to hold two rounds of youngsters or a box for each round. When the first set of babies are around 14 to 18 days old, the hen will lay another set of eggs.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
LOL.....you might as well get started on the OTHER loft............one pair of birds can turn into many REALLY quick!!

Thats so true. One of my pairs had 14 youngsters last year. Its not a lot, but when you have 30 pairs of pigeons it can really add up lol! If i were you i'd just make the current loft your making a little bit bigger, able to hold about 10 birds or so. Or you can make another similar one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
New improvements

So here are the latest and greatest on my mini loft. One picture is the exterior, the other is of a nesting box I got going as well as one of my birds. In the exterior picture you'll notice there is a board over my so-called "drop trap" as I pulled a rookie mistake and did not put plywood or wire in to prevent a bird from grabbing on to the bottom rung and pulling itself out. I will be picking up my hen tomorrow about 77 miles away, as I got the call that she got in to her prior owner safely.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You really need to replace that flimsy chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth!!! Chicken wire will keep your birds in but will not keep snakes, rats, and mice out! That adorable little doggo won't stop them from getting in and injuring or killing your birds!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hardware cloth

Got the message, I'll be slapping on the cloth this weekend. I've also gotten a few more 2x4s and have started on a young bird loft that'll be quite bigger. Thanks for all the help, i'll be sure to get some pics.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If I were you...

Excellent, just checking. Looks like I'll be building another loft when my pair starts breeding!

I will say this again: "you did great on your loft"...
I will build something larger than what you are thinking now...I made something like what you have now. Then few months after I see myself building even bigger (6'H X 5'W X 6'D) then few more years I extend it to 9' wide...I did what I was told to have at least 2 sections (breeders and flyers)...Now I'm gathering as much 2 x 4 and plywoods that I can get out there then I will make a 2nd floor only for flyers and the bottom is for breeders...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Pictures....Finally!!!

Sorry it took so long folks, I had to get these from my buddy's camera as mine is down at the moment. The first is of birds, the second of the nest boxes, and the third of the outside. The pictures are little old, since I took them I've put on a much larger roof (that little thing doesn't do anything for the rain) as well as 1/2" hardware cloth in place of the chicken wire. My first pair are digging it (i hope), I've thrown in a few pics of them too. I picked up a pair of Muelmann birds from a local breeder of racing pigeons, he was happy to hook me up with a nice breeding pair. They're young birds, about 10 months old, and have done training out to about 100 miles (to their former loft), but the stock is good at the 250-300 miles races apparently. Any suggestions as to some other lines to look into? I've talked to people who have bandit lines, which race about the same distance i guess.

Any tricks to getting them to lay eggs? I figure I'm being impatient and it is the wrong time of year but they don't seem to be exhibiting copulation behavior or anything of that sort. They have claimed the top nest box though and will roost in that and the cock will sit in the nest however, but thats about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry it took so long folks, I had to get these from my buddy's camera as mine is down at the moment. The first is of birds, the second of the nest boxes, and the third of the outside. The pictures are little old, since I took them I've put on a much larger roof (that little thing doesn't do anything for the rain) as well as 1/2" hardware cloth in place of the chicken wire. My first pair are digging it (i hope), I've thrown in a few pics of them too. I picked up a pair of Muelmann birds from a local breeder of racing pigeons, he was happy to hook me up with a nice breeding pair. They're young birds, about 10 months old, and have done training out to about 100 miles (to their former loft), but the stock is good at the 250-300 miles races apparently. Any suggestions as to some other lines to look into? I've talked to people who have bandit lines, which race about the same distance i guess.

Any tricks to getting them to lay eggs? I figure I'm being impatient and it is the wrong time of year but they don't seem to be exhibiting copulation behavior or anything of that sort. They have claimed the top nest box though and will roost in that and the cock will sit in the nest however, but thats about it. Thanks!
Is this loft working fine for you?

I'm thinking to design one for 4 pairs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The coop looks fine to me...Very nice pair you got there too...Don't rush them to lay egg, of course they have to mate 1st for few times then lay eggs...But it won't take that long and you will have yourself some eggs...Just let them be...Good luck and happy new year to you...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts