Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone for the past 3-4days there has been a white bird coming an leaving my back yard that i really haven't paid much attention to until i realized it was all white homing pigeon i keep a bunch of seed, breadcrumbs an things like that in my back yard for the wild birds like sparrows,cardinals, an feral pigeons. but i never get pigeons i get every other bird lol. well i noticed this one an really paid attention to it this morning i went outside to check the feeder an as usual all the birds flew away an they come back when i leave but today this one didn't leave an he allowed me to get close enough to see what it was. it didn't have a band on, an i don't know anyone close to me with a loft but anyway i keep going outside like every 15 mins hes either on the top of my cage or on the edge of the roof its like hes someones house pet that they tamed he doesn't fly away if he does he just goes to the next thing in my yard an he also loves to sit on my BBQ grill an pick at it. my mom wants me to catch it, but i cant it looks healthy an is doing good ill leave pigeon seed an grit out for him if hes wild i don,t wanna trap him an have him in a cage. im planning to keep white homers anyway when i get my loft so i dont wanna take away his freedom. i would post a pic but my cell phone camera sucks an white homing pigeons all look the same i guess. lol i named him or her mystery lol.:p:D:)

has anyone ever seen one in the wild without a band??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your concern over this bird.

Please do catch the bird and put him in a safe carrier away from any area where he may be harmed by a predator. He is domestic and won't survive long on his own and he is a sitting duck for hawk attack.

Here is a link which contains several methods to capture:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/1...s-incl2cnd-step-post-your-location-38776.html
omg your right i didnt think of that:eek: hopefully he wont be to hard to catch

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
omg your right i didnt think of that:eek: hopefully he wont be to hard to catch
just to let you know ..if your going to get homing pigeons you will have to get used to hawks scouting them, more in winter esp... if you can not catch this bird and if your getting some white homers to fly..it just may join them at some point.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to let you know ..if your going to get homing pigeons you will have to get used to hawks scouting them, more in winter esp... if you can not catch this bird and if your getting some white homers to fly..it just may join them at some point.
i know it will but they'll be secure in a loft this poor thing is wide open i gotta think fast an catch it. i never seen a hawk before but i'm sure with free food laying around it will introduce itself

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i know it will but they'll be secure in a loft this poor thing is wide open i gotta think fast an catch it. i never seen a hawk before but i'm sure with free food laying around it will introduce itself
you are right the loft is a secure place, but usually homing pigeons are let out to fly...so not sure how you will avoid hawk strikes unless your going to keep them in?

a lone bird is a good target for a hawk, more saftey in numbers.. hope you can get your friend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG you guys or not gonna believe this i told u the bird lets u get so so close to him before he fly's away so u got a huge beach towel an did what i do to get my parakeets in the cage when they misbehave i took the big towel slowly walked up to the bird on the roof of my cage an i just stood there for a minute completely still at first the bird was watching me hard but as soon an she started to turn i just threw the towel over him an picked him up with the towel i was so amazed at myself i had no idea it was gonna work so now i go to put him in my coop an my mom said NO! told me that she wanted it an it was coming in the house an we argued a bit because i know she was gonna call it her pet an id have to do all the dirty work lol but now its inside temporary in my old cockateil cage id love to build a nice big inside display aviary for him to go in the front room because hes such a pretty bird but hes probably gonna end up in one of those huge bird cages like for conures or something like that hopefully he will get along with my parakeets lol i just cant believe how easy it was for me to catch him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts