Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a 2 part thread :rolleyes:
I'm moving back to Maine this summer - and taking all my birds with me.
These are pictures of my shed where I am moving, which I will have to remodel to house my birds. I'm planning to make a wall of nest boxes, and attach a flight cage to the side where the large window is located.
Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. I'm planning on starting the "transformation" in about 1 month.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think you could do a great job with that shed. Good luck on the move. You'll have to keep us updated.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is such a cute shed. You could do a flight on each end or even all the way around it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
lots of light is always nice. the major thing that I can think of is make sure no mice or other critters can get in. but you know all about that, so, I say have fun! looks so cute....Is this a good move?:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It'll be fun! Makes me want to build another one.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That shed looks nice. I agree you can attach some sort of aviary. For the moment I thought that shed was already a loft. And if big enough, then perhaps you can have 2 divisions. One for breeders and one for your youngs. I think the door already separated the 2 potential sections and perhaps each front window can have their own aviaries.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the support. This is a good move - I hope.
The shed is actually 8 X 11 and has 2 large windows (1 on each end) and 2 smaller windows on the front, with a 10 ' peak ceiling. This shed has been moved to 5 different locations in the past 30 years. The last move was to my mothers house.
At one point, it was "on loan" to the Kittery Maine Chamber of Commerce and was used as an "information booth" at the Kittery Outlets.
It's old, it was a garden house at the first house my (ex) husband and I bought 34 years ago - but she's solid as a rock! I want to make it pretty again and give it to my birds.
I am thinking of dividing it inside and putting 2 aviaries - one on each end. One side for old birds and the other side for young. I have 11 new babies just in the past month! OR I was thinking my homers and tumblers on one side and my fantails on the other side. Thats why I needed ideas!
And of course I have to build a garden around it!! I can't live without flowers :eek:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
What part of maine are you moving to? Yippee, another pigeon lover in Maine. I won't feel so lonesome now.
daryl
I'm up in New Gloucester.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What part of maine are you moving to? Yippee, another pigeon lover in Maine. I won't feel so lonesome now.
daryl
I'm up in New Gloucester.
I'm moving back to Eliot (next to Kittery). Your not too far away, about 1 1/2 hours north :cool:
Currently my elderly mother lives in the front part of my house, and my daughter is living in, taking care of her house. My daughter and boyfriend are buying a house and I'm tired of commuting to work (Kittery) so we decided to sell my house and move back --which means NO mortgage :D
I'll miss my house but thats why its a GOOD MOVE!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sounds like a good move. A garden would look great around it. You could really pretty it up. It'll be fun. I'll bet the fantails would love being in the loft!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Progress Finally!

Well, because of all the rain we've had here :mad: I'm a little behind schedule.
But I'm finally making some progress on my new loft...
This is what I started with --

The building had to be leveled. The ground on the front was leveled also for the flight cage that's going to be attached to the front.
I put pressure treated timbers set into the ground, filled with 6 inches of gravel. Tomorrow I'm putting 1/4 inch hardware cloth over that. Once that's done I can put the framing (leaning against the building) up for the walls.
I hope to have it finished this weekend if the weather stays DRY!

The flight cage will be 8X10X8high

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh Waynette, it looks great. Looks like a brand new building. Nice size for the flight cage too. Your birds are gonna love it. I can hardly wait to see the flight cage up, and the birds in it.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It's adorable and you can make it just the way you want it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Now I'm getting excited. I was really depressed with all the rain we had (and still having - at least a shower everyday).
Once the walls are up I have to put something over the hardware cloth on the ground. I'm not sure what would be best. I'm thinking maybe pea stone?
Also, I haven't decided whether to put a solid roof OR hardware cloth roof (so they can sit out and enjoy a shower :cool:) OR maybe half and half?
They'll be able to go in and out of the shed for 3 seasons. In the winter I'll close the door (putting in a small removable door that I can open on the nice days so they can go out if they want to). They'll have plenty of room inside the shed to fly also, its 9X10X12high at the peak inside.:D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts