Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dunno what kind of color/marking you would call her. Thru Elizabethy, I retrieved this pigeon from a poor, old woman living in some sort of SRO/Old age facility down in the Tenderloin district of SF. It was a sad visit, really....basicaly a tenement building, probably an old apt. building, sliced up and converted into a very, very, very basic assisted-living facility. Oooosh.

Nice woman, maybe slightly "off" although also maybe just starved for conversation. The walls of her small room (I am talking maybe 8'x12', seriously) was papered with photos and magazine clipping of all sorts of animals.

She found her, who she called "Red Rooster", out on the sidewalk when she was feeding the pigeons one day. Amazing she was able to catch her, she is still fully flighted.

Anyway Avian vet visit confirmed she has a broken tibiatarsus (upper leg bone) which was splinted. Prognosis ? Eh....More on that tom'w...One of our vet techs thought she looked like a 'Betsy'...so her name is "Betsy Red" !

Never have seen these markings on a feral. Pretty, no ?

BTW, she is BY FAR the most pain-in-the-#ss patient I have EVER dealt with !!!! Just wiggling and doing all she can to escape at every moment I have to handle her to medicate and veggie-pop.

There were times where I was finding myself clutching her a bit too tight...and glaring into her eyes a bit too long...if y'all know what I mean....:eek:

Anyways, her weight is up and she is now doing flyabouts/walkabouts in the living room and dining room...and she has fer' sure discovered the feral flock(s) outside of the windows....

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
She/he look's like a bronze mozaic. You have to look at all the bird's that are feral or go feral (never figured that one).
The Colour combinations are endless, and probably far more varied than an expert of colour could produce.
Bless you for taking her/ him under your wing.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Gorgeous bird and I love her name.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks. Dunno about the "good as new" . That is what I wanted to get to last night.

The break is clean across the tibiatarsus, and it actually dislocated the bone so the lower protion is no longer aligned with the upper portion, but rather, sitting a bit next to at at the tip. to make matters more complicated, apparently the girl had this for several days before being treated, so her muscles contracted and the vet couldn't get the bones back into alognment via simple external manipulation.

The result being, only surgery under anesthesia and a pin in the bone would bring it back to 100%...this after an x-ray.

(i.e about $1000 worth of treatment).

So instead, the doctor just splinted the leg tightly so the two broken ends are stable and touching each other, parallel and slightly overlapping. Her judgment being that the bones will mend together and the scar tissue will hold them stable. The leg will end up slightly shorter than before.
And it is a much longer recovery time than a typical fracture or properly realigned break (17-21 days vs 30+ days for this). It has been 9 days and the vet checked her out yesterday and said there has been, as of yet, zero improvement in the leg, but it is still early in its mending.

She is on medacam for pain and inflammation, and neocalglucon for bone-building/mending acceleration.

Mmmm...a sort of compromised solution, but....these are very good avian vets so, I trust their judgment....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The good news is that she has you caring for her now. I do hope the leg gets where she can still use it. mindy

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...I think she will regain decent use of it, albeit with a limp...we will just take things day by day....

I just discovered she digs brown rice tonight ! Which is good, because, being a feral, she really didn't recognize or like safflower seed, or any seed, so I have mostly been giving her a variety of wholegrain breads.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
nice wrap on the leg...I like the little "snowshoe" she has..lol.....her color reminds me of a tortie cat...very pretty gal!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, her toes were "knuckling" under initially, so when she would bear weight on the bad leg she would actually be standing on the TOP part of her foot. So the vet made that lil' snowshoe for her, to spread her toes out again. They took it off Thursday and she is now holding her toes normally, albeit she doesn't have much grip with them yet.....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It NEVER becomes easier, does it ....?????

That's my question (albeit a rhetorical one). It never becomes any easier...releasing your friend back into the wild/feral world...does it ?

I would think by now that maybe, having done it so many times...the emotionality of it all lessens a bit...but....nope.

This AM I took Betsy over to Dolores Park here in SF. My GF had reminded me of the large, healthy feral flock over there. We went at about 8AM and a big flock was feeding by one of the stair/paths into the park. I could feel her jumping at the carrier door when she spotted them.

I put the carrier down about 8 feet away from the flock and busted open my tupperware of goodies. I sprinkled the treats all around and the flock surrounded the carrier, then I opened the door and she stepped out. With that familiar sorta "what...huh ?...you mean...I can GO ?" expression on her face she waltzed into the fray and walked around, checking out all of her cohorts....occasionally pecking the ground for some food, and occasionally looking back up at me.

I said my see ya laters and told her to be a good girl, be smart, have fun.... and that I love her...then I picked up the carrier and headed back to the car. I turned once when I was about maybe 20 yards away, and she was looking at me walking away. I waved to her, and then she went back to eating with her friends.

It really doesn't get any emotionally easier. She's an adult, and her leg healed amazingly well, after a 6-week splint (pic below)...so it was time for her to return to her feral life. But I sit here at home and everytime I hear a bump or knock, I think it's just her !...everytime I walk into the kitchen I automatically gaze upwards towards the top shelf where she liked to hang out. We had our little daily routines...she....I...and the Parrots.

It sprinkled/misted a bit this AM (of course, right after I released her !) even though there was no rain forecast. But it stopped after a few hours, and the temp. and humidity was still mild...mid 50's. Cleared off quickly and was sunny all afternoon. Good weather forecast the rest of the week. She's in a good pigeon-park. If she chooses to hang with the homebirds, they are in a great location for food and safety...vehicular traffic is slow, the park is big, and there are plenty of roosting places in the vicinity....there's even a flock of chevron-winged parakeets which live in the palm trees nearby! She is also only about a mile away from the n'hood she was found in, the Tenderloin...so if she is so inclined, she should be able to home back there with little problem.

So...everyone send your love and good vibes to the Red One ! :)

Attachments

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
GREAT story, Jaye!!! :D

Betsy Red DID heal beautifully!!

We are sending her ALL OUR BEST FOR A LONG AND HAPPY LIFE

WITH LOVE

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
i wish her all the best,she is a real beauty..
hope u get to visit her in the park sometimes and send her our love
but good job

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
A great story!! It's always nice when they can go back to the big world. :p I must say again what good judgment you showed with Webby; I'm pretty sure he couldn't even survive out in my handicapped loft, let alone the great outdoors! :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Jaye,

Loved this story, what a great job you did there.

It's so good she's fit, well and back 'out there', but I can just imagine how hard it must be to let go.
I wish her a great life.

Be safe Betsy, remember to pop by occasionally to show how well you're doing !! :)

Janet

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jaye, another great story. I hope Betsy Red has a great, happy, and safe wild life flying free. I hope you write down all your great stories, and then write a book about the love of pigeons in your life. min

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i understand your feelings, on one hand i'm happy they are free, on the other hand i worry about them so much and wish they would at least come and check in everyday, don't they know how much i worry about them and how hard i worked taking care of them!!
some birds stick around for a while but most beat wing right out of here, and the ones i bring back to where they were found i usually never see again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts