Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this new pigeon a capuchin again i want to know the correct color of my bird
and is the hood of the capuchin is dominant or recessive?
i want to experiment crossing it to a oriental frill. any comment about that crossing?

·
Registered
722 Posts
i have this new pigeon a capuchin again i want to know the correct color of my bird
and is the hood of the capuchin is dominant or recessive?
i want to experiment crossing it to a oriental frill. any comment about that crossing?
The hood of these birds is just a selected form of the crest gene as far as I know. In this sense, the hood is a rather elaborate shell crest. Crest is a simple recessive. But I am not sure what causes the difference between shell and peak crests. I think a second recessive might be responsible. I assume getting back the show quality hood after cross breeding would be quite difficult.

The bird you pictured looks like it is a grizzle (or tortoiseshell as they are sometimes called). Otherwise it could also possibly be almond / qualmond, but I doubt it. I do not know which genes are present in the Cappuchine breed.

If you want to cross to an oriental, why not! It is always interesting to see what they look like, sometimes in very unexpected ways.

If the oriental is a blue blondinette (colored head and tail), you'll probably get blue and blue grizzle birds with short beaks, with some form of peak or shell crest. You will not see any of the frill and frill stencil (lacing / spangling), though you may see bronze patterned areas (the Modena bronze part of toy-stencil), though grizzle may interfere with that somewhat. You'll probably also get baldheads, white flights.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's what I thought but when I crossed capucin with smoothheaded old german magpie tumblers the youngsters have a small crest (halfsider pics recently posted).
Also I thought that the flattened sides would be dominant but they turned out pretty normal.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I made a homer archangel cross this year, and lo and behold I go 2 crested babies, and two plain-head. I'll have to test mate he homer cock to one of his daughters to be sure, but this probably means he carries the gene for crested, even though the homers of Dutch heritage shouldn't (most SA homers are mostly of Janssen ancestry).

Maybe your german magpie tumbler is also carrying crested due to an out-cross many generations ago. I is possible for the recessive gene to go un-expressed for many generations, especially when not closely in-breeding or line-breeding.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you see one leprechaun, the proof is in the pudding... ;)
Can't imagine the capucin being het for a dominant crest gene, but then I couldn't imagine the magpie to carry crest.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It looks blue with Kite bronze, and as Rudolph has said it is def. grizzle. Looks Het grizzle meaning one dose. Baldhead pied also.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I bred jacobin with non crested breed and they had small crests that look pretty funny or have cowlicks... the crossbreeding usually cancels out allot of what is unique about a purebreed pigeon.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bred jacobin with non crested breed and they had small crests that look pretty funny or have cowlicks... the crossbreeding usually cancels out allot of what is unique about a purebreed pigeon.
You say that your Jacobin F1's showed crests? But crests are supposed to be recessive, meaning the F1's shouldn't show any crest at all...

You probably could write a paper about the dominant crest gene that you found in your Jacobins :D

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
You say that your Jacobin F1's showed crests? But crests are supposed to be recessive, meaning the F1's shouldn't show any crest at all...

You probably could write a paper about the dominant crest gene that you found in your Jacobins :D
I have heard that Jacobin crests are incomplete dominant from a few different sources.

Most crest types are recessive but not the Jacobin crest

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have heard that Jacobin crests are incomplete dominant from a few different sources.

Most crest types are recessive but not the Jacobin crest
that is interesting, I did not know about the dominance in jacobins or lack there of of creasts in other breeds... :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I don't know bronzes very well. There are about 8 different bronzes (link on it below) I believe the majoririty if not all are dominant genes with some being incomplete dominant. I think some may be hard to discriminate. Thanks for bring me back to that thread though cause I think I just made a ruling on mine :D

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f41/types-of-bronze-48660.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts