Pigeon-Talk banner

My new Shamo Rooster!!

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  hasseian_313 
#1 · (Edited)
My New Shamo Rooster & hens that I just picked up...........for $60.00

#7 · (Edited)
These chickens I have are out of Pure blood Shamo Fighting chicken bloodlines.............there kinda high strung. The 2 Shamo hens as soon as I put them in with my laying hens, started fighting the Boss laying hens........... The Boss laying hens came up too them as soom as i let them out of chicken cage, pecked the Shamo hen just one time & the Shamo hens went crazy & kicked the heck outta the Main dominate layers. They only fought for 30 seconds & everything is peaceful now. I never seen such a high strung hens as a Shamo Game Chicken hen. I've had bantys & they don't even comapre to these Shamos............ My Shamo Rooster is just as high strung, had to take out my old mixed Blood Rooster, I didn't want the Shamo rooster to kill him. Going to use the Shamo Rooster as my main rooster for all the hens & getting rid of my old Mixed Polish/Green eggs layer Rooster. I like the Shamos they are lively chickens compaired to my egg layer mixes. $60.00 for all 3 young Shamos were cheap, up here a good mature Shamo Rooster goes for $100 otherwise!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
You HAVE to have a cock?! :eek: I was told you didn't. :confused:
pigeonmama; said:
You don't need a cock bird for egg production. You need a cock becuase I have so many of them:D
Besides, you may want to have babies some day
Daryl
LOL, OH - FUNNY YOU! Thanks, but just want eggs! ;)

#10 ·
Waynette, chickens are pretty easy to take care of :) Just have a coop for them to get out of the weather and sleep without critters bothering them. Other than that, you can have them free range in the day so they don't have to eat quite as much feed. Banties don't eat much anyways :p But of course in the winter, they need a good supply of feed by us to get them by. But in the summer time, my birds have a hay day eating grass, bugs, and seeds they find. It's funny to watch them chase around flying bugs and crickets :p

#11 ·
I wondered about that. The past couple years I've seen chickens all over the place - on the side of the road in front a different houses. Seems more and more people are getting chickens :confused:
I have quite a few feral cats around here - won't they bother them if they free range?

#12 · (Edited)
My chicken coop is insulated, my water never freezes in the coop, I have an air vent in my Coop to let moisture out & fresh air in. "Chickens throw ALOT of heat," They keep there own coop warm if you have the number of birds & there area calulated right, you never need water De-Icers, + they eat less. (I don't use electric heaters)If they had a cold Coop, they'd eat like Cows, to keep there little bodies warm enough. They are easy to take care of.................................. Only electric I use out there is for the Lights, I have my Chickens on light timers so they keep laying eggs threw the winter, they are laying eggs like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
if you breed the shamos pure. let me know I'd be interested in some eggs in the spring. I have a few game chickens myself. my Red Quills are my favorite took me a few years to find some around here. they're a very hardy breed of chicken but high strung as you said and aggressive an older cock with experience will stop the hen fighting just be sure his spurs are trimmed

#16 ·
Yeah, the 2 black hens I'll keep all there chicks this spring, my laying hens I'll cross with Shamo too, but sell those offspring just for meat. Going to do some experimenting, but yes I'm planning on keeping a Pure bred line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.