Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I thought I'd start a thread of the loft build, although I got to warn you guys this is going to be very SLOW. We're only going to work on it, on days my brother has off and right now were working on setting up a swing set for our nephew, but hopefully we'll have the loft construction started by the 4th week of April (depending on weather and whatever days he has off) and we "MUST" have it completely done by the end of June. The loft is going to be 8 x 8

But... heres some pictures of a model I made so we have a visual of where the 2 x 4s go:

Not really sure about the roof yet.. either that ^, red rose starter loft type of roof, or a slanted roof, I'm trying to figure what will work best and look good too.

Input on everything appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Well my dear friend you have made up your mind and your plans are just beautiful and now the work begins and welcome to the real world of pigeon keeping and I am so proud of you that you continue with my negative comments as well---you are something---and something to watch in the future with your new found hobby...I will be watching you and enjoying your every post and I love what you designed so far...c.hert

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my dear friend you have made up your mind and your plans are just beautiful and now the work begins and welcome to the real world of pigeon keeping and I am so proud of you that you continue with my negative comments as well---you are something---and something to watch in the future with your new found hobby...I will be watching you and enjoying your every post and I love what you designed so far...c.hert
Thank you so much for all your comments to my threads c.hert that have been greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Man thats only big enough for 1 bird LOL That is very smart making a model like that It will help you in the construction. The one im building now is being done day by day Im figuring it out as i go I think you have the right idea good job Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man thats only big enough for 1 bird LOL That is very smart making a model like that It will help you in the construction. The one im building now is being done day by day Im figuring it out as i go I think you have the right idea good job Keep us posted
Thank you! Yea we decided to do that too now were just gunna build the floor then each wall piece by piece then put it all together like a puzzle in the end.
But we had a problem... lol we were outside measuring and we decided 8 x 8 is "ugly small" so now we've made it an 8 x 12, but I'm worried thats to BIG I don't want to bother the neighbors, although I know with proper training none of them will even know I have them lol.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This isn't good!!! lol... after talking to one of the guys at the club and my mom, I think we're going 12' x 10' or 8' 16' which might be easier to build.

They guy at the club said 4 6' x 4' sections would be nice you'd have one for young birds, old birds, breeders and an extra one, that could be used for hens in the winter, or widowhood in old bird racing, or I could have 2 teams of youngbirds. Other guys tell me to build an 8 x 4 then go bigger but I can't see myself spend 300$ on an 8 x 4 then another 500-700$ on a bigger loft, just a waste of time and money to build a 8 x 4, plus if things don't workout it can be a nice storage shed!

Well c.hert you first suggested I build a 14' x 12' but I think it might be best if we stay with these dimensions ;) I just hope it doesn't come out ugly!

Thanks,
Shokri

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I know that you will figure all of this out and once your into this you are attached for life and just take it a day at a time and draw designs on paper and imagine how it would be for you to scrape droppings and venelate dust and carry water and get food and grit and vitamins and all the other stuff nesting bowls and nest boxes and light and air vents and fans and guards and meetings meeting new friends and training and traps and training and it go on and on and on and then more money and more money and more money and then you do have a real nice hobby but you could meet a racer family and go to their loft and help them clean and feed and water and learn more and my friend I know you are going to make real good decisions for I have faith in you....c.hert

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the floor joists in yesterday, unfortunately I'm very sick and couldn't go to school today. I'll try to take my pictures if I get a chance to, hoping to get a lot done this weekend. Any comments on metal roofing?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The only thing that I know about metal roofing is it gets hot and makes noise when it rains ---maybe people who have them can fill you in about them....c.hert

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn't start working on it today till like 5:30, was only able to get the floor boards on. HOPEFULLY I can get all the wall studs in tomorrow, but after tomorrow I have no idea when I'll work on it again, hopefully I wont have to go to home depot before my next paycheck thats all I'll say lol, never thought 12 x 10 could be an expensive size!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still haven't taken pictures.. sorry. I promise that to take some this weekend though. Studs didn't get finished because I was taken away from work for about 2 hours to help cut down and chop up a tree, only got 1 wall done these screws are really weird took a lot of strength to drive them in. My brothers working on it on Thursday we'll see how much he can get done lol.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Front view from inside of the loft at 6:30 PM

Side view of loft:

Front view:

Was able to get a great deal today with a 34'' x 44'' window for 30$ today had a lil crack in the frame that super glue can fix!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Tomorrow I will do the same thing that you have already finished in your loft. There will be flooring put in and 2x4 to hold up the walls plus the ceiling is going to take a masters degree to figure out---but I will get some work done tomorrow--and will be my carpenters helper and lead him on the right path to at least starting this affair of enlarging the loft and I just wanted you to know we will be in this stuff together and this to me is suffering with a lot of work...Take care my friend....c.hert

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It won't be worked on till Tuesday for me and all that going to get done is the last wall of studs. Then gotta figure out how the roofing is going to look. Maybe if I'm luck that can all be done by next week. I hope this is all done by June 27th.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You are going to be ahead of me----I need to do this little by little---because my carpenter has to go out of town again and I was lucky to get him to start something tomorrow but we are suffering together with our money and plans---ugh ugh c.hert

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'm going to get my treated 2x4s tomorrow for mt aviary. They are on sale from 3.97 each to 1.97. I cant let that slip by. I will save about 40 dollars plus I have family that work there and they can get me 10% off.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts