Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
my pet pigeon BB has been acting really weird i have had him since October 2008 as a baby bird
anyways what my question is he makes a really weird noise and when he makes this noise he sits down so when i go up to see what's wrong i can pet him but when i do he bows and the noise that he makes stops and the noise he makes kind of sounds like he's crying
and he twichs he wings to when he makes the noise:confused:

so umm why does he make the noise and can i do something about it?:confused:

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
You really can't tell the sex of a pigeon by looking at it but from the way you described it I would say it is a male. About the only true way of knowing is if BB lays an egg. :) Our pet male pigeon, Vinnie, will lay down when I put my hand on him while he is in his nest. I can rub his head and he makes grunting noises and wags his wing too.

Juvenile pigeons also make a croaking sound when they're changing from being a baby to an adult - kinda like a teenager. It only lasts a few days but is pretty funny while they do it.

BB is so very pretty. I have always especially loved the light blue bars.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Your pigeon is a blue bar. It usually can be determined on the neck colors as the males have more colorful and darker irredescent colors around the neck. It can be purple, green, or blue...or a bit of all too.BB is still a young one, so the colors may not be fully developed. The females, generally have a toned down coloration around the neck. Your greys and browns have the neck colors.Can you post a picture of BB's front face and neck? We just love pictures here too.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i got some more pictures of BB i got his head and neck and the green is showing more then the purple
ok so more pictures of BB:)
and right now he's sitting on my shoulder watching me as i type

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is BB the only pigeon you have? Where do you keep BB? I have my first and only feral, that is much younger than BB. I am having fun with her/him. She is so very sweet. I have named my bird Mildred, since I found it in a paper mill. One day I may have to admit that Mildred is really a Milton. Mildred loves to sit on my shoulder too, or on the back of a chair, or on a lamp shade. She flys around the house when I'm home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah BB's the only one i have and i kind of feel sad for keeping him tho cuz i live out in the country
and a couple of weeks ago a hawk came and my mom and me and my step dad all thought that BB was a goner:( but 27hrs later he came back it was the happeyest day of my life :)
and my step dad made him a big cage box thinggy but BB mostly stays in the house and out of the box we put him in it at night and when nobodies at home

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
so what do i do about BB is he lonely?
Just keep loving BB as you do and keep BB safe as you have. If you really want BB to be free at some point then some things are going to have to happen to get BB ready for this. My personal opinion is to keep BB as as pet and when s/he is old enough to "declare" his or her gender then find a mate and keep both of them as pets .. JMO ..

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah we are gunna keep BB as a pet and ill keep loving BB:) and my mom is trying to find another pigeon so that BB's not all alone:)

when my mom take BB outside he doesnt fly far anymore wich is good i guess and my mom takes the dogs outside and BB hides under one the dogs
umm is BB trumatized cuz of the hawk attack? (sorry if theres any spelliing mistaks)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ummmmmmmmm
hi again=)
umm BB layed an egg
im still in wow/i cant belive that just happend mode
umm what do i do
what do i do?????
do i do anything?
do i touch the egg?
do i move the egg or BB?
sorry im really really nervus i dont know what to do o_O????

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
In a couple of days she will lay another egg. Leave the eggs alone and let her incubate them. They won't hatch but her body needs to go through the cycle because she doesn't, she will lay more eggs and it will be hard on her.
Please make sure she has OYSTER shell ALWAYS AVAILABLE as she needs it to make strong shells. You can buy some at the pet store.
You may need to egg sit each day to allow her time off the nest to eat and poop. They don't poop while they are incubating but save it up and do one large and rather smelly poop.:eek: It's true so prepare yourself.

G

·
yeah just let her do her thing and like Charis said make sure she has that oystershell for calcium to aid her in her bodys need to replenish her calcium supply .. the pigeons pretty much do the rest .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.