Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
15,608 Posts
the chick is about 12 days old. What should I do?

sorry for double post
For now, go read this thread. I had the EXACT same problem back in 2002. I've had it a couple of times since then. You are the FIRST person who's ever seen it first hand besides me that I'm aware of.
I've got to get off line but I'll be back in a little while. I'm very curious about some things.
And yes, I KNOW they DO actually pull the feather out and SWALLOW it.......I've seen it with my own eyes.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8948

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the way my pigeon doesn't have a mate yet it still lays eggs. i swapped the egg with fertilized one the last time it laid eggs. I also did this about 6 years ago and it raised the chick without any problem.

· Premium Member
25,629 Posts
by the way my pigeon doesn't have a mate yet it still lays eggs. i swapped the egg with fertilized one the last time it laid eggs. I also did this about 6 years ago and it raised the chick without any problem.
I can't imagine why birds would do such a thing, it could be alot of different reasons.

She is really pretty.

I would say this though, IF she is hatching and raising the baby all by herself without a mate to help take on the duties, that is stressful in itself. That may not be the reason for her pulling and eating the baby's feathers, but it is something to consider.

Does she have access to sunlight and is she getting all her nutritional needs met? Not trying to be insulting, just trying to help.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't imagine why birds would do such a thing, it could be alot of different reasons.

She is really pretty.

I would say this though, IF she is hatching and raising the baby all by herself without a mate to help take on the duties, that is stressful in itself. That may not be the reason for her pulling and eating the baby's feathers, but it is something to consider.

Does she have access to sunlight and is she getting all her nutritional needs met? Not trying to be insulting, just trying to help.
she doesn't have direct access to sunlight since I moved but I take her out on my balcony from time to time. even though I have had it for over 8 years I don't know much about pigeons. What should I feed her besides pigeon food mix and grit? Thanks for the help

· Registered
20,303 Posts
she doesn't have direct access to sunlight since I moved but I take her out on my balcony from time to time. even though I have had it for over 8 years I don't know much about pigeons. What should I feed her besides pigeon food mix and grit? Thanks for the help
you want her to have at least 16% or higher protein for the seed mix, she may be craving more protein, that is just a guess. oystershell has calcium so try adding that as well. I would not let her raise a baby by herself again, the cock usually takes over the whole thing when the babies are a few weeks old,and the the hen goes to lay again, so she is not getting the break she needs. sunlight is important for them to metabolise vit D so they can use the calcium given, they can get low calcium as it is used from their own bodies. you might want to add a bird pellet to her seed as they have vit/minerals to add to the seed. some finely chopped greens can be helpful as well.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For now, go read this thread. I had the EXACT same problem back in 2002. I've had it a couple of times since then. You are the FIRST person who's ever seen it first hand besides me that I'm aware of.
I've got to get off line but I'll be back in a little while. I'm very curious about some things.
And yes, I KNOW they DO actually pull the feather out and SWALLOW it.......I've seen it with my own eyes.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8948
thanks Lovebirds, should I take the baby away from her and hand raise it myself? it seems she's stopped pulling the feathers out but I am not sure

· Registered
15,608 Posts
thanks Lovebirds, should I take the baby away from her and hand raise it myself? it seems she's stopped pulling the feathers out but I am not sure
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I DID have good intentions......just been a bit out of pocket that past couple of days and will be again in just a few minutes.
I've actually had two hens do this. One never stopped. The other, did this feather plucking last year and did it SOME this year on her first round of babies, but I didn't see her do it at all on her second round.
At one time, I thought that maybe this was caused by my breeders being in the back of the loft and not getting much, if any sunshine during the breeding season, but then this second hen was in the breeding section where she DID have access to sunlight during the day, and it didn't make any difference.
I'm totally clueless as to why this happens. I don't know the "whys'' I just know that it does happen.
With my first hen, I actually took her out of the breeding pen and let the cock finish raising the babies. If you don't have that option and she continues, then IMO, it would be best to finish raising the baby yourself. That must be very painful to have feather after feather plucked out. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.