Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought three figuritas and I am new to pigeons. I heard that dove feed is good for them but I want to make sure that the feed I am giving them is fine.

I feed them wild bird feed that is for doves and finches. I feed that for my ringneck doves.

It has the basic stuff and some small sunflower seeds.

Is that going to be good for them?

·
Registered
467 Posts
It will work just fine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They seem to like it better then their previous food.

When I bought it from the owner the only think they were feeding them was corn and sesame seeds. And I am feeding them millet, sesame seeds, corn, sunflower seeds, and wheat.

They are liking it. :)

Also should I feed them three times a day or just leave a bowl in there?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
When I bought it from the owner the only think they were feeding them was corn and sesame seeds. And I am feeding them millet, sesame seeds, corn, sunflower seeds, and wheat.

They are liking it. :)

Also should I feed them three times a day or just leave a bowl in there?
they need more than that, they need some legumes (peas), sunflower seeds are not the best to feed, a few unshelled ones are fine, but shelled sunflowers usually are not in a pigeon mix. you need to supply them with a vitamin/mineral/calcium suppliment as well.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok, I am going to buy a bag of peas and mix it in with the mix. Also for the calcium and minerals should I put some bird charcoal and oister shells?
They do need a high calcium grit, charcoal is something they like as well so if it is in the mix all the better. I would not feed them the sunflower seeds with the shells... I do not even know why Im saying that, but heard it was not good for digestion..I just can't remember exactly why..lol.. perhaps someone can let us know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I never feed any of the small black sunflower seed. Thats like feeding them fat meat. just to much fat. also they are toxic to some birds.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I went to the store today and looked at the dry beans section and I looked at the peas and they were big so I bought some green lentiles instead. I have figs and I don't think they can eat seeds that big. Is lentils fine? Also I bought some wheat.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, So I mixed my seeds together today and so far it looks healthy except the sunflower seed part. Next time I buy my feed I will get the one without the sunflower seeds. So I have mixed in a few things in my seed mix and right now it has, millo, millet, wheat, brown rice, a little bit of white rice, sunflower seeds and some lentils. I haven't bought some corn yet so It doesn't have corn. Also I haven't bought some grit yet because I am not sure if I should buy it from the pet store or should I buy the pigeon type from jedds. Also if there are any other type of legumes I can use that is small please tell me. Thanks :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok, So I mixed my seeds together today and so far it looks healthy except the sunflower seed part. Next time I buy my feed I will get the one without the sunflower seeds. So I have mixed in a few things in my seed mix and right now it has, millo, millet, wheat, brown rice, a little bit of white rice, sunflower seeds and some lentils. I haven't bought some corn yet so It doesn't have corn. Also I haven't bought some grit yet because I am not sure if I should buy it from the pet store or should I buy the pigeon type from jedds. Also if there are any other type of legumes I can use that is small please tell me. Thanks :)
dried peas, split green ones.. it so much easier to just buy a mix for pigeons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts