Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male pigeon has found a feral pigeon mate . He used to always want to be with me and he was always sitting on me and very close to me . He found a feral pigeon mate and I feel really bad when I have go out him in his aviary as he is alway cooing band walking around the door of it . He doesn’t really want to be around me much during the day but he is not scared of me or anything when he is near me . They spend all day together in of room of my house which is Einstein’s room . Surprisingly she still hasn’t laid an egg and they have been together for about a month . Please does anyone have any advice of what I should do ?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
You should be happy for him. No human can replace the company of another pigeon. Do they spend time outside? You can still offer him treats like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. Offer from your hand and he will come to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello yes they do still spend time outside together especially now that the weather is getting better . I do feed him peanuts he absolutely loves them . I don’t mind that he has a mate it’s just getting difficult to seperate them for when he has to go sleep in his aviary .

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Provide them with a safe sleeping spot and a nest box (somewhere sheltered under a roof). That's what I did for 2 of my very tame releases. They will stay and probably start nesting soon. Otherwise try and lure the female inside the aviary so that both can sleep there at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They really are ! I just can’t really do anything with the mats she is very scared of me as she is a wild pigeon and mine is handreared

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe she will become less shy over time as she watches the male interact with you ... Of course she will not become tame but maybe she will imitate what your pigeon does and go everywhere he goes to...

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I think he will start spending more time with her eventually which will be good. That's why I suggested building them a nesting box. Would be nice if they stick around and not go elsewhere in search of a place to start a nest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh okay I will get them a nesting box , where do you recommend putting it because the female can’t stay in the room for the night and my pigeon sleeps in his aviary, I can drill it below the room window outside Mabye ? But I don’t know if they would of there ? I really hope that they won’t fly away I have had Einstein since he was 2 days old he will be one year old this month.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really hope so . It’s just abit difficult to interact with Einstein when they are together as she flies away abs he flies after her.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Put the nesting box anywhere high in a sheltered spot. Don't force him to sleep in the aviary at night if he does not want to. She will show him a safe spot to sleep. When you have the nesting box up, put him in there. If he likes it, he will probably start cooing to her and she will join him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello yes they do still spend time outside together especially now that the weather is getting better . I do feed him peanuts he absolutely loves them . I don’t mind that he has a mate it’s just getting difficult to seperate them for when he has to go sleep in his aviary .
Maybe you can coax her into the aviary as well and leave them together there for a few days. I have had tame birds show ferals what they can enjoy if they will just trust their human. And then you will have the joy of being a grandparent to totally tame babies

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would create a halfway home for them

Ferals are meant to be more disease resistant

Some of the birds I have seen at the train station are quite nice
I cary a mueslie bar and it all of a sudden crumbles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts