Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking care of a pigeon that hatched in our barn at school because he/she can't fly, walk, and wouldn't eat or drink water on its own because they couldn't move. The other student on this assignment took them home Thursday and didn't care for them like they were suppose to and the bird injured there foot and got feces in. When they brought him/her to school i saw the foot encased in poop and after I cleaned it saw the infected toe when i talked to them they said they cleaned them but looking at the poop I could tell it was from a long time ago by how dry the poop was. So now the bird is with me for the long weekend I've been trying to contact the vet at our school but they wont answer and the bird has so much more energy since Wednesday ( the day I got him/her took them home and they were cared for every 3 to 4 hours they took him/her the next day) I just don't want to give up and euthanize them when they have improved so much so if you have anything that will help the infection or splayed legs please help me with any answers that you may have because anything will help me at this point.:( Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took him to the vet yesterday and they said that it's not worth fixing because the tissue in his foot is dead and that he will never walk so they gave me medicine to ease their pain until i can go back to school and have them euthanized thanks for the reply have a nice day.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The vets sometimes suggests euthanizing when it is not really necessary. Most of them don't care about pigeons, especially feral pigeons. Can you still plse post the photo? Surely you can't give up on the baby that easily? You are now his only chance of surviving. There's plenty of members on this forum that will give good advise. Infection can be cured and splayed leg can be fixed. But we can only give advise if you post that photo.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Marina is right in that lots of vets don't care about pigeons. This vet is not an avian vet, right? Which means that he doesn't know enough about birds, let alone pigeons. Please post the photo for us, so we can see what it is you are referring to. Don't just give up on him that easily because a vet does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts