Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Half a year ago I found a pigeon injured by a cat and saved him. All this time he has lived in our home.

Suddenly yesterday he stopped eating, his droppings were very liquid almost like clean water. I hoped this morning he will be better but I see he has been throwing up the seeds he ate. Should I start worrying? Should I give him antibiotics if he doesn't start to eat? For now I am just keeping him warm.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I think that he needs a vet...there are other causes of the symptoms you describe, like worms and coccidia, neither of which would respond to antibiotics.

Can you tell us where you are?

Cynthia

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
...could be Canbdida, Yeasts infection...Canker...e-coli...salmonella...

Best get him to an experienced Avian Vet or experienced Rehabber for an exam..."asap"

Needs to be right meds for whichever it is...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sometimes you can bring the poop into the vet to be checked. If you can do that without bringing in the bird, it'll cost you less.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi everyone,

Half a year ago I found a pigeon injured by a cat and saved him. All this time he has lived in our home.

Suddenly yesterday he stopped eating, his droppings were very liquid almost like clean water. I hoped this morning he will be better but I see he has been throwing up the seeds he ate. Should I start worrying? Should I give him antibiotics if he doesn't start to eat? For now I am just keeping him warm.
What have you been feeding this bird?GEORGE;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies. Where I live there is no aviary pet. I could take him to the vet but back in the days when I had parrots I figured out they don't know anything about birds or small animals.

Since this morning the pigeon started eating again, just that the poops are still quite liquid.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Your bird problem doe not sound good especially in the beginning post you mentioned that it was throwing up seeds and it sounds like it eat something that it is haveing a hard time passing and I just bet that something is in its system that can.t be passed right now and it could be a whole bunch of other things that are serious. I would start checking for professional help in your area to have the bird check out maybe rehab centers or birds clubs--don't know your area where you are posting from...c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Where do you live? I may be able to find a vet for you. You don't need an avian vet but one that does have experience treating birds. Often, vets that have an exotic practice treat birds.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I went back and looked at your other posts and see that you are in Bulgaria. Where exactly?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Not knowing where wxactly you are, I do have this one resource. If this vet is not near you, perhaps you can call and ask for a referral for a vet that is.

Balchik, Dobrich, Bulgaria
Dr. Ivelina Velikova, "Zlatko Petkov" 37 str, Balchik, Dobrich, Bulgaria, 9300.
Ph: 00359898497994

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Now Charis if you have a resource in Bulgaria---you are just amazing with your resource getting...Bulgaria??? c.hert

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surprise, surprise! Yesterday my "male" pigeon laid an egg!!! Yesterday suddenly she became very agitated and trembling and hardly breathing. I got very scared I thought she was choking. And then came the egg. Obviously the egg is infertile. She didn't sit on it at all, even beating in it with the beak.

She is eating now, a bit less but eating and no more throwing up. Just that the dropping are still more liquid than the usual. Will that come back to normal again?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Keep her calm and safe with food and water and now she will lay a second egg maybe tomorrow and thats good news ..keep us posted like you are doing...Happy Papa Day..c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Surprise, surprise! Yesterday my "male" pigeon laid an egg!!! Yesterday suddenly she became very agitated and trembling and hardly breathing. I got very scared I thought she was choking. And then came the egg. Obviously the egg is infertile. She didn't sit on it at all, even beating in it with the beak.

She is eating now, a bit less but eating and no more throwing up. Just that the dropping are still more liquid than the usual. Will that come back to normal again?
Congratulations!
You will need to make sure your hen has plenty of calcium, available when ever she wants it. In addition, she will need vitamin D to help her process the calcium.Perhaps you can find oyster shell at a pet store and an avian vitamin with D.
In a couple of days, she probably will lay another egg. Let her lay on the eggs if she wants. She likely will do so for about 18-20 days and then she may start the process over again. The reason it's important to let her lay on the eggs is that it gives her body a chance to rest and restore the calcium levels.
Please keep food and water next to her as she will be reluctant to leave the nest to eat or poop. She likely will hold her poops and go off the nest. They will be large and stinky.:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for the input. For how long will this egging period last because her poops are driving me crazy! How many days or months does this period last? Will it be the same next year at this time?

So I should expect a new egg. The second day after the first egg came nothing special happened. She was beating the egg so I had to throw it. No new egg yet. I will look for calcium and vit.D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
LOL. Hang on for the ride. They have eggs every month. If you just remove the eggs, she will keep having them, and deplete herself of calcium. That's why you switch out the eggs with fake ones to allow her to sit on them for the 18 or so days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I don't know what I was thinking complaining about the eggs. Our hen regularly had eggs now and she sits on them and that is great. You know where to find her at all times, she learned where to poop when she gets up from the nest, what could cooler than that? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts