Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my birds a few weeks ago they were on the thin side since then IO have been feeding them twice a day a mixture of turkey feed and seed with the occasional treat of peas. All but one of the birds have thrived and are looking great. I went away for a week and my sister has been caring for them when I returned this morning I noticed one of my birds is very skinny when I held it I was shocked at the fact that it felt so lite and that its chest bone stuck out. I thought that perhaps its friends were being bullies and keeping it from the food dish so I seperated it and put it with a bowl of food and it just picked at it for a second maybe ate two or three pieces and walked away and wasn't interested. I don't know what to do I am new to pigeons and I am scared for my bird. It let me pick it up which is strange because usually it flys around like crazy and make sme chase it and then when I was holding it it just sat there on one hand and didn't move I am worried its going to die please help. I can't really afford to bring it to the vet right now but I will if necessary

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I ask because given the circumstances, it might be possible for you to connect with Cricket for medications and treatment:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=5077

...since she's in your area.

It could be worms, coccidiosis, canker (probably unseen but have you looked inside the beak for yellow cheesy buttons?) or some other infection. That said, it sounds like the bird's gone "anorectic" (which they do a lot when they're really sick) and will need supplemental heat and even forced feedings, besides medications.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
It's good that the bird is isolated, add a heating pad on low or a heat lamp
to this bird's set up and hand feed the bird. You can soak puppy chow,
and hand feed this to the bird, you can also do the bird burrito if necessary.
Open the mouth and see if you notice any pronounced odor there or to this
bird's droppings. Also check inside the mouth for any abnormal coloring or growths. Post a pic of the droppings if you can. Do you have any meds
on hand?

fp

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Oh, I see that Killingworth is about 30 miles from West Haven, which you're ten minutes from (which way?). Cricket might really be a viable option, depending.

Pidgey

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick response. I have the bird seperate with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. I looked in its mouth and didn't see anything but I don't have good eyesight I will have my husband check when he gets home. I am unsure about the poops because it was with a group of birds and I don't know which poops are his(or hers) but now that I have it seperate we will know no poops yet but I will keep checking and will post as soon as we have one. I gave it a dacoxine tablet it says it treats coccidiosis, canker, e coli, and paratyphoid. I will continue that for a week like it says on the box. I put a bowl of water in there and it is drinking well. I also put a bowl of food and a bowl of thawed frozen peas I was hoping that would seem appealing. Is there anything else I should get or do? Any other meds I can pick up?:confused: I have a few pet stores right near me for emergency meds and there is a pigeon supply store about an hour away that I order from. I can go there or I usually have them ship things and I get it by noon the next day if it can wait that long.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get some puppy chow as soon as my husband gets home(I don't drive) any particular brand that is best or is wet dog food better? My neighbor has cat food that I could get right now would that work?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
How old are the birds?

Sometimes if they are young they just need to regenerate and multiply some good gut bacteria. How about adding some probiotics or kefir/yogurt to the diet first, nothing like it to put some weight on. You may have to hand feed for a bit until they start to eat well on their own.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are aprox. 8-9 weeks old. It did have a poop it was like a small puddle of white with a dark green coil. The bird has been drinking alot it has picked at its food some mostly the peas alittle not much but it gives me hope. It better its crop is fuller and it is more active.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Hi Kristen, I know it is worrying you having this little one lose weight. Do you have scales that weigh by the gram? That would really help to weigh it each day to see if it is gaining or losing weight. Safflour seed (small solid white seed) are very good for helping them put on weight. Also, the cat food would be just fine. Soak it in hot water until it softens but isn't mushy, let it cool and break off small pieces, open his beak and push the piece to the back of the throat - past the air hole - and let it swallow.

Good luck.

BTW. don't give it any canned dog/cat food - only the dry (that has been soaked). I'm thinking he is still so young he hasn't quite gotten the hang of eating on his own.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm Exhausted

I just spent the past three hours feeding the bird. It was really fighting me thing went a lot faster when I wrapped it in a towel. Then I checked all my birds for canker and treated them with the dacoxine tabs. I got about two teaspoons of food in it. Is that a good amount I probably could have done more but I was afraid to overfeed. I am covered in soggy meow mix. How often should I feed the bird? Hopefully not as often as my three month old son I was up nursing him all night. Phew babies are hard. I am going to go take a nap.;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not working. the bird is getting thinner, sitting still eyes closed and the feathers on its head are always fluffed up. I have given it the canker meds I have fed it. I don't know what to do anymore. What really scared me is that another bird knocked into this one and it just kinda swayed like it was out of it. I don't want the bird to die I am worried. I think I am going to put in a box with a warm water bottle. hopefully that will help. What else can I do?

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
It is time for an Avian Veterinarian. It could be so many things and by the time we explore them, it could be too late.
If the bird has an empty crop, by all means hand feed it. If it's not eating, it may not be drinking either. Can you tell if it has been drinking?
It sound really weak and you probably don't have much time to figure it out.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
How many times a day do you assist the bird in feedings?

What meds do you have on hand and is Dacoxine the only medication that
you have given this bird?

fp

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I force feed it twice daily and I bring it oput and have it eat out of its own bowl two more times a day. How often should I feed it? How much at each feeding? When I let it eat by itself it kinda throws the seeds around without really eating any. What fluids should I give it?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I force feed it twice daily and I bring it oput and have it eat out of its own bowl two more times a day. How often should I feed it? How much at each feeding? When I let it eat by itself it kinda throws the seeds around without really eating any. What fluids should I give it?
If you feel the crop of the bird right now can you please post approximately how much seed and fluid you feel in there? If there is close to nothing in the crop, then I would definitely give some rehydration fluid (about 5 ml/cc) and let that pass through the system and see if the bird rallies a bit. Rehydration fluid can be unflavored Pedialyte (or the store brand of same) or just water with a pinch of sugar and salt added. Please check the crop and post back about that while I get the link for homemade rehydration fluid .. there is a recent one with an extra ingredient or two that would be excellent.

Terry

1 - 20 of 59 Posts