Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I started off not long ago with a nestling baby pigeon that I managed to raise on my own without any experience at all. He is now probably a bit over a month old and doing fantastic-- he has full access to the house and never lets me leave his sight now that he can fly a little bit.

I recently found out that there are pigeons keepers in town who are trying to sell some of their pigeons. We met up a couple of evenings ago, and they showed me three birds they picked for me and let me have them all for just $50. They're apparently Egyptian Swifts.

Are there any ES keepers on this site? I'd be happy if you could tell me all that you know about the breed. I live in New Mexico, and I'm finding it hard to locate many pigeon keepers here at all.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
That's a really fancy breed. :) They're kind of hard to get here.
Did they tell you what kind of Egyptian Swift? There are about 10 subgroups and you aren't supposed to cross between them because it messes them up. They're a really old type of pigeon. I think they're gorgeous. If I had room for a loft I would probably try to find a bunch of them--maybe even only keep Egyptian Swifts, though I like Archangels too.

http://pigeonnews.com/index.php?p=pages&title=Standards

http://coloradostatepigeonclub.org/BreedSpotlight.aspx

http://egyptianswift.de/

http://www.geocities.ws/kingtutloft/faq.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@ Libis: They didn't tell what what type they were, and honestly I doubt they'd even know. I kept trying to ask specific questions like that and they were always just unsure. The pigeons belonged to the youngest daughter, and she just ended up with too many birds (which is understandable, lol). The only thing I know is that there are two males, and a female. It also looks like two of them are going to be a mating pair, once the female starts laying eggs. And thank you for the refs!

@ horseart4u: Yes that's the name of the town

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
@ Libis: They didn't tell what what type they were, and honestly I doubt they'd even know. I kept trying to ask specific questions like that and they were always just unsure. The pigeons belonged to the youngest daughter, and she just ended up with too many birds (which is understandable, lol). The only thing I know is that there are two males, and a female. It also looks like two of them are going to be a mating pair, once the female starts laying eggs. And thank you for the refs!

@ horseart4u: Yes that's the name of the town
lol. Well just know that I'm all jealous of you now. ;) You've got a way cooler town name and a bunch of gorgeous birds!
Can't wait till someday when I can get a loft set up. (Once I actually have a house of my own lol.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol. Well just know that I'm all jealous of you now. ;) You've got a way cooler town name and a bunch of gorgeous birds!
Can't wait till someday when I can get a loft set up. (Once I actually have a house of my own lol.)
lol, if only the town were as cool as it's name. The nearest mall is hours away :(

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
lol, if only the town were as cool as it's name. The nearest mall is hours away :(
There are great things about small towns too. Lower taxes. Less pushy about where/how we put in bushes, trees, and sheds (here they once tried to charge us a $100 fee for a bush that was planted 5 years before we moved here being too close to the sidewalk. They waited till we had lived here 7 years.) Often more pets allowed with fewer species restraints. Friends with horses, camping areas, swimming holes, etc. who don't mind sharing. People who know and trust each other (I know there're still freaks in small towns too, lol.)
Everything costs money here and its expensive. Half the time boyfriend and I just stay around his house and eat cookies and play video games or go walking for dates because we have no money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've past by the town a lot cause i do animal transportation. The first time i saw it i was like what? Strangest name i ever saw.
Ooh, animal transportation? I've never heard of that, sounds fun.

@ Libis:

Yeah most all of that it true, save for the lower taxes part. Taxes here might be lower, but the town is probably 90% low income, and they actually keep raising the taxes on us, so we're in a bit of a pickle there, plus the city keeps trying to intimidate the people like the big bully it is.

I definitely love it here because I love being as close to nature as possible, and I get to keep my dog, goat, lizard, rabbit, and birds here with me, which makes me happy. My sister is helping me look into buying a horse too, as if my place isn't enough of a zoo, lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah we do it in a sprinter van. We move peoples dogs and cats who are moving or re-homing them and also people buying dogs from breeders. Moved 3 cockatails also. You can ship dogs in the cargo of a plane if it is over 80 degrees.
Wowie, I may have to look you up if I ever buy an animal from out of state. I'd much rather have my animal brought to me (mostly because I don't really have a way to drive two hours to the nearest airport) hehe.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ooh, animal transportation? I've never heard of that, sounds fun.

@ Libis:

Yeah most all of that it true, save for the lower taxes part. Taxes here might be lower, but the town is probably 90% low income, and they actually keep raising the taxes on us, so we're in a bit of a pickle there, plus the city keeps trying to intimidate the people like the big bully it is.
I think almost everywhere is getting that way anymore. :( I'm so sick of the taxes. I think once you add them all up more than half my income goes to them... and I don't even own land to tax--just a car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts