Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I used to have a pair of white homer pigeons, Nieves (F) and Pulgas (M). About a month ago Nieves passed away and I'm worried that Pulgas may be depressed. He has become somewhat aggressive when someone goes into the kitchen (his favorite spot) and this never happened before. I've decided that I won't be getting him a new mate as the lost of Nieves was very hard on me and it feels like I'm just replacing her. Is there anything I can do to help him out? Any advise will help, thank you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
trust me, I know firsthand that losing a bird is hard. I lost Martini. :( he was my girl coconut's mate. I felt the same way you do about getting a new bird. She didn't do well for a long time. At one point I decided to put her needs before mine. She's now with another bird. Yes it's hard. Yes it feels like I replaced Martini. But Coconut is so much happier now and to me that's all that matters.

I couldn't spend very much time with coconut because of school, maybe you could try spending more time with Pulgas? If he sees you as his new mate he'll probably cheer up a lot. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trust me, I know firsthand that losing a bird is hard. I lost Martini. :( he was my girl coconut's mate. I felt the same way you do about getting a new bird. She didn't do well for a long time. At one point I decided to put her needs before mine. She's now with another bird. Yes it's hard. Yes it feels like I replaced Martini. But Coconut is so much happier now and to me that's all that matters.

I couldn't spend very much time with coconut because of school, maybe you could try spending more time with Pulgas? If he sees you as his new mate he'll probably cheer up a lot. :)
I was thinking about that, that maybe I can become his new mate? Nieves was my first pigeon and she showed mating behavior towards me until I got Pulgas but she would still show mating behavior towards me sometimes. How would I approach this if I want Pulgas to see me as his mate?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Getting him a mate would be an early Christmas gift for him LOL. Please do not look at it in a way that you are "replacing his mate", this is just the circle of life. It is especially different for pigeons than for humans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts