Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a roller pigeon that was about 6weeks old August 2012 . We noticed tonight that he had poop on his wing and that he ran not flew away when approached. Then we realized he does not seem injured or unalert and wants to fly up with the others but flaps his wings with not enough power to fly. He has chick grit and I have corn for warmth to eat. I have a 5gallon container of water atall times and an inside loft. The feed is for wild birds from rural king and lowes. I don't have a place to buy pigeon food. I have been worried about that for awhile. The y seem to have gradually had poop that is more clear and a little bit runnier than when I first got them but I am a beginner and can use any advice anyone can give. Thanks in advance for aloof your time and concern to help me.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It could be lots of things.
But the runny poop tells me to send him to a vet for a poop test. It deserves it since he is your daughter's favorite.
Any mice can get in the loft?
Give him a physical exam first. Are wings joints swollen? Compare by checking both wings in same time. Just put him on your lap, upside down and cover his face with a towel.

Do you also provide with grit and vitamins.
Is he drinking more water than usual? I would separate him from the other pigeons and monitor his water intake, feeding , poops.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You really need to bring him inside where it is warm. In a cage with paper towels down on the floor of the cage. That way you can monitor his droppings, and watch for how much he is eating and drinking. Have you checked down his throat for canker? Any yellowish nodules down there? You need to look way down the throat with a flashlight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I brought him inside with food, grit and water. His balance is off too. If he sits on my finger then he tucks his tail and is unstable. When I moved the cage and he was standing in the bottom he tipped over on his side and took a little too long to stand up. Is that significant

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Something is wrong with him.
Besides some sickness,Could he have hit himself while rolling?

Is he eating?Drinking? Does he look lethargic? Dehydrated?

Cage is not good to keep him in. He can injure himself if he tries to fly. I big laundry basket or pet carrier is the best. Make a dounut towel and place him in the middle.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It would be better to put a heating pad in the cage, set on LOW and cover it with a towel. Then you can sit him on that. He would be warmer. Do you have a vet you could bring him to? Or at least have his droppings checked?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I inspected his wings and would say that his right wing where it bends does seem to have a little less feather coverage than the other , feels warm and possibly thicker than the other wing joint. I have never seen them roll because I have never let them out of the loft. Could he have just hurt the wing and will heal on his own? I checked his mouth and definitely looks pink and normal no cankers. His poop is clear liquid with green substrates.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Is he completely weaned and eating well?

Since he is very young, I would address digestive issues, he needs to be hand fed if not eating enough and also I would repopulate his gut bacteria with probiotics. Young birds do not have the amount of good gut bacteria of an adult and that may be why he has the runny poop.

How is he holding the wing? Is there swelling in the joint? Have the parents been innoculated for paratyphoid?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
he could be malnourished and needs hydrating.. as sky has said he may not know how to eat well enough and the seeds are lacking.. I would hand feed him defrosted peas and find a bird pellet for cockatiels at the pet store and feed him those as well for more nutrition. if that moves through well repeat when the crop is empty. keep him warm on heat pad low under the container or cage he is in.

edit: I see his age now as charis has pointed out. he is a sick bird.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The bird hatched in July so I don't think the problem is because he isn't weaned.
I agree that bringing him inside, putting him on a heating pad, set on low and monitoring would be a very good idea. Certainly hand feeding the defrosted peas is a good idea too. It will get some protein into him.
You mentioned that you feed wild bird seed and corn... If it's whole corn kernels the corn is often too big, the pigeons eat it and it can cause a blockage in the crop. When that happens the food can't get through and the bird wastes away and starves to death. I don't know if this is the problem or part of the problem but worth mentioning.

You said the poop is runny and green, that is an indication of starvation.If there is a bad odor, it can be a sign of illness such as salmonella.

Pigeons can have an internal canker that cannot be seen in the throat. It affects the liver and is more common in adult pigeons than the kind you can see in the throat and mouth.
You said you can't find pigeon mix near where you live. Tell us your zip code and I will try to find some for you. Your birds do need more protein and the wild bird seed doesn't not have the nutrition they need.

Here are some pre-written feeding instructions. The pigeon must be warm before you feed anything. You can tell he's warm if his feet are warm. If you feed a bird when cold, it can kill them.

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-40 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes, roaches can also spread Salmonella.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would suspect salmonella too though we can't be sure at this point. The watery droppings of many........weakness in this one and possible swollen joint? Can mice get in the loft? When is the last time you brought in new birds or they had contact with other pigeons?? Did the bird feel thin/light??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts