Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I am a new pigeon flyer and I have a small team of 16 pigeons right now all 3 month old pigeons and there starting to leave the loft for 45 minutes to 1hour so my question is how to start taking them out ?? how far the first time ??? thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow !! a little cranky huh.. Relax, someone will be along soon and answer your questions. It's the xmas season and people are busy. I noticed you made your 3 posts over only an hour and half and in the evening, I doubt that you are going to take your team out tonite.
Merry Christmas :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I start out 3 miles then go to 5 then move up by 5 miles till I hit 50

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im sorry mr maniac but I did get a response from someone and he was very helpful !! unlike your comments!! but im not here to argue with anyone just here to talk pigeons thanks to everyone who did give me good information realtalk !!

·
Registered
393 Posts
...Here's my two cent's worth. How long have they been routing?
If there gone for up to an hour, there's a good possibility they have aready flown more that five mile's away from your loft. I would be more enclined to start off at ten miles.
If memory serves me well, in the Rotondo book he stated that he started off at the fifty mile mark. I guess it all comes down to how confident and comfortable you are with the bird's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they been routing out for 2 weeks already I let them out everyday ... sometimes twice a day in the morning and the evening and they all trap well >>....

·
Registered
393 Posts
they been routing out for 2 weeks already I let them out everyday ... sometimes twice a day in the morning and the evening and they all trap well >>....
Sound's like your on the right track. Trapping is very important, if you intend to race them.You can loose a race with them lingering.
Keep us posted on how they are doing.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You should let them out in the yard within in sight of the loft the first several times you use your release box; otherwise they may panick and become lost.
You have to train them to the release box too.
Next let them out about a mile away North, South, East and West, just out of sight of the loft.
Then you are ready to distance train them.
Keith

·
Registered
594 Posts
I follow a practice very similiar to what Keith C. does. - After I get them used to the crates and close releases, I only take the birds in the general direction of the race routes though. I usually take them twice to the same distances. 1 mile - 2 miles - 5 miles - 10 miles - 15 miles 20 miles - 30 miles and 40 miles.

Hugh

·
Registered
857 Posts
The most economical way to single toss your birds, when they are ready for it, is to drive down a road with very little traffic, where you can go slow and stop and let one go every mile or so from the vehicle's window.
Keith

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
well, if they have been tripping/routing as long and as often this person says........... UNLESS they are landing some where, you should take them at least 30 miles. If they can not handle that, even if they come back slow... They are not worth trying to fly from. unless you plan only to fly very short races.
If they are doing what you say, they should come back from almost ANY reasonable distance. And thats the truth.....:) Dave P.S. once they go 30 for a week, single toss till you cannot stand it any [email protected]!!!! I truly believe it makes a bird use all the genitic goodness it contains.. if it is there.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts