Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need some help and advice. i am a new fancier and have a mix of racing as well as high flyers. Some young some old I regularly fly them about 3-5 miles away from the loft and they all promptly return however recently they have started sitting on my house roof top. when it gets dark they fly towards the loft and then suddenly mid air they decide they don't want to go in and go back to my house roof (very annoying) some of them do come in and roost without any problems. i have to then get up on the roof in the dark and try to retrieve them. i have tried different methods like feeding them an ounce a day and releasing them hungry however it seems like they are too frightened to return and this habit has gone into some young birds too.

The loft is comfortable free from predators and with plenty of space to roost and that's where some were even born. i don't understand what the problem is and would seek some advice from you experts out there

regards

·
Registered
145 Posts
hmm, you said you feed less. i would think that would help a little bit.

another thing that you might try is taking them a little bit further so they get a little bit more tired from flyin.
kinda like people, if you run 2 miles forever eventually its nothing to run 2 miles. you might try stepping it up a notch and start taking them 8-10 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

thanks for replying as you suggested I am in the process of training at the moment but all my training is hindered when the birds don't come back to rrost and hang around on my roof. They fly towards the loft but then mid air suddenly turn away and go back to the roof to. It is really frustrating cause i can't find the cause of what's bothering them.

i am planning to keep them hungry for a bit longer. How long can pigeons remain hungry for?

·
Registered
145 Posts
they will get hungry enough and head in the loft. if most of the ones that are staying out are young birds, then i wouldnt be worried to much. young birds will do that. is there somethign around the loft this is hindering them from landing?

trees? fence? top of the loft?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is nothing that i can think of. However if there was then some of them would not return. i am so confused!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It sounds like they might be confused too, or frightened and unsure.

Are the older birds teaching them bad habits?

Have you made any changes to the loft,recently?

Did you trap train them and train to the whistle?

G

·
sounds like something is scaring them to me .. do you have a trap for these birds or can they come and go at will ? the only thing you really can do is make them hungry enuf to come in, so no feeding them unless they enter the loft and if they dont come in on time dont feed them til the next time you feed your birds .

·
Registered
40 Posts
just wondering...do you have a light in the loft...?..if you leave it on all night..birds get disoriented....the stay up where"s dark..:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like they might be confused too, or frightened and unsure.

Are the older birds teaching them bad habits?

Have you made any changes to the loft,recently?

Did you trap train them and train to the whistle?[/QUO

Its funny you say that but its the other way round where the younger birds are training the older birds to do that and now most of them have picked up this habit. I have not main any changes to the loft which is a converted shed purpose built for pigeons. i do not have the trap system and just have a door which i open and close so the pigeons are not trained for the trap system. When i call out to them they use to come back and only in the last few weeks two young ones started doing this and now the old ones have followed suite. Is there a way i can prevent them from sitting on my roof? is there a device or something which does not let them get comfortable there.

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just wondering...do you have a light in the loft...?..if you leave it on all night..birds get disoriented....the stay up where"s dark..:cool:
No there is no light in the loft however there is a light in my garden which is movement sensitive and only comes on when its dark but how has that got to do anything with the pigeons changing their mind mid air trying to fly towards the loft?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Don't feed the one's that decide to stay outside. Leave them alone if they are not in danger of being attacked by a predator during the day or night. They will eventually get hungry and return in the loft. When you do finally get all your birds back in... build a trap door and train them before releasing them again. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. miraculously today morning after staying out all night they have returned to eat. have locked them all up now. How do you make one of these trap doors is it something easy to make? or can you buy it? I am good at DIY

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You can buy it at the pigeon supply houses. Training your birds by the whistle teaches them its MEAL time when they hear it and helps them to KNOW they are going to EAT when they come inside. The trap is an absolute necessity if you fly birds, once they learn to trap train and eat at the sound of a whistle, getting them back inside is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
also, they could of got hit by a hawk when trapping at some point and you just did not see it, and now they are leary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I was looking at some traps and the Sputnik trap looks good all round any suggestions. I just don't understand though how they cannot fly back out through the Sputnik as there is no shutter or door?

i do shake the food tin when i call them and they tend to come but the issue was mid air they then decide they don't want to. It's really annoying. Also any of you know how to train them to return through the trap?

thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
its about the controlling the tempo... food is the answer dont feed or water for about two days but locked them up so they wont go anywhere.....then wait and see whose the boossed.... i bet you this birds would fly and beg for food and water at your knees.. and then practice good handling skills when and how much to feed them... dont be a foe your smarter than this birds dont let them out smart you....:D:D:D

ohhh sputkik or drop trapped traps.... birds cant get out cause of a simple concept (you analized it) then till us why they cant get out....

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Recently our club had a bird found in the trailer, that was supposed to have been let out the previous Saturday for a race. It did not exit and join the race on race liberation day. The liberator was supposed to check and make sure (by using a broom to sweep the trailer sections if necessary) but did not see this bird.

We discovered the bird the following Friday night when loading the birds up for the next race. That means that the bird was in the trailer with no food and no water from Saturday morning to the following Friday night. This was also during a hot week of August.

Amazingly, the bird felt healthy and not light, when I caught it to give it some water immediately (and a little later, some food). It belonged to another club member and he said it was doing fine, and he sent it to the following weeks race and it came home, but nowhere near a winner.

So, I know that they can make it for seven days without food and water, without showing signs of severe health problems.

Maybe this bird was lucky. I don't know. But it was a very hot week inside a metal trailer. There is never any food in there for any reason and the water had been spilled after the previous release Saturday.

I was amazed how good the bird felt. When catching it inside the trailer, I expected to pick up a very light and weak bird. That was not the case.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Feed is the tool to train. Trick is whisle, shake a can, ring a bell but make a consistant sound that means food is on the table come eat. Make this sound even if all the birds are in the loft. Feed all the birds in the loft for about ten minutes. Make sure each get to eat but remove any leftovers when done. The birds on the roof are out of luck. They will quickly learn if they do not come when you call they do not eat. Always remove leftovers, and never feed them before flying them. If you plan to fly them that day wait to feed them until after they fly. They will learn.

Tony

PS Do not feel sorry for them if they trap later and feed them otherwise you teach them nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts