Pigeon-Talk banner

my pouters. color id on some

3K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  CMH1211 
#1 · (Edited)
well thought ud enjoy some pics of my birds and help me out identifying some of there colors and best matches. Also, do they have a scientific name for these pigeons. ive heard cuban theif pouters, spanish pouters, i know in spanish they call them buchonas. anyhow, on to the pics.

they are in mated order. i think the pic size might be big

A1)hen
A2)cock
A3)hen
A4)cock

#13 ·
I could probably help but to make it easier can you label each pic that you need help with a label such as "bird a" "bird b" etc. I am sure if you do this and also PM almondman or John D to move this into the pigeon and dove genetics area then more people will help out and it may even strike off some discussion which is always informative.

#18 ·
lol A2 cocks dad was mated to A1 hen and they made D2 cock(the ash red bar). So as sick as it sounds lets see what the son gets from her lol.

Im not mean... Her original mate was a friends bird and we went our seperate ways so I thought who better to mate her with then her ex-mans son ;).

Hes my favorite bird he is the only one attached to me so he means a lot to me. And she was my first pigeon. Lets see what kinda babies they make.

#19 ·
Surprised there has not been more response. I am not sure of all of them and it would be good to know what genes are common in thief pouters of which I have no firsthand experience. I am assuming you are calling almond the birds like B1? It may be but I am not sure if it is not just grizzle etc. causing that look. A3 I am not sure if it is ash-red or brown t-pattern...hard to tell fromthe photos. My guess on these...
A1- Dark blue chck (or t-pattern)
A2 Blue barred pied
A3 Ash-red (or brown, hard to tell from photo) t-pattern
A4 blue bar pied
B1 ??? pied almond (don't think so) or ??????
B2 Blue grizzle, white flights
B3 Brown (?) barred
B4 Blue barred
C1 not sure on this one....obviously grizzled
C2 Blue-barred
C3 These guys I am not sure of, grizzled on what, brown?? I think someone else that has this color should recognize and get this right away.
C4 Blue + spread (= black) grizzle.

Where is Evan or Luke or Becky....... : )

#20 ·
Lol thanks for ur help again... lol u like those names? My wife names all the birds based off movies. Funny thing is I go along with it and memmorized all the names. Its easier for breeding purpose.

These arent even all the birds I have more but these colors are the tricky ones.

The "almond" one is a regular blue bar lol. Ive seen it all. I bought hin cuz of his color and he is completely died from head to toe. Someone went thru a awful lot of trouble for 60 bucks.lol

#21 · (Edited)
So many colors in one thread is a bit overwhelming. I see blue, brown and ash red colors, the spread gene, one or two types of grizzle, and piebald genes in the group.

Focusing on your favorite (C3), I think that he may be spread brown grizzle. If so, mate him to the hen pictured beneath him (C4) and you should get some daughter that look similar in color. If he has a tail bar then he is not spread and could be mated to a hen that is the color (brown) of cocks in pics B3 or D2.

#22 ·
C3) he is so cool in the sky. He looks like a little hawk. He is mated to the hen under him and they have a baby right now. He/she is about 10 days old.

When u say get a daughter tht looks similar that means tht only the females will look like him? What about the males? If when the baby gets older if it looks like him is it safe to say its female?

#25 ·
Ok cool thanks for the info... the baby appears to be really dark although it may be to soon to tell.

Nice birds,
I'm Cuban and I breed Laudinos Sevillanos,
You have many different colors and they are all cross between breed
For examples some of you pigeon shown- jienense, Laudinos, Valiar, Cubans
The question is, do you need to know the color of the pigeon or do you need to know how Cubans call them, and I can help you
Color, and I know they are crosses thats what makes a thief. Any info you can provide can help a lot thanks.

#24 ·
Nice birds,
I'm Cuban and I breed Laudinos Sevillanos,
You have many different colors and they are all cross between breed
For examples some of you pigeon shown- jienense, Laudinos, Valiar, Cubans
The question is, do you need to know the color of the pigeon or do you need to know how Cubans call them, and I can help you

#26 ·
Is C3 paired to C4?

I agree with Tmaas that the bird in C3 looks like its brown, Grizzle. Could well be spread too.

If so, Paired to the blue below you will produce all blue cocks carrying brown and all brown hens. Could be handy to know all the blue birds are cocks as I imagine for thieving you want the cocks separated? Could put them all in together as young birds so they never see a hen till they get out. Just a thought.

#27 ·
C3 and c4 are a mated pair and have a baby right now... that bird with a mate has stolen about 53 birds in a year and a half. He is now retired and his kids will take over. I do not like to fly my birds. I do once in a while but rather not. Im in the process of making an outdoor aviary. Right now they live in a two bedroom indoor room tyat used to be an indoor garden when I bought this house.

The yound I would like to start flying one day. Some of these will make someone very happy and successful thief owners. Im going to post some for sale.

Thanks for everyones input it really helps a lot.

#30 ·
53, that is awesome, I have Valencian Thief pouters for show, They are an old breed. Check out my album of them.

I have not flown them as I race and the thiefs tend to land on the neighbours roofs which I see as bad publicity so I do not want to risk an uproar. But I would love to one day if I have the land and space to do so.
Atleast if you do sell them you can be certain of their sex based on their colour.

#28 · (Edited)
Here are some more pics of c3 his name is kevin lol. I have no idea why they are upside down. They are right side up on my phone.lol

The second pic, just to stay with the whole letter number assigning is going to be...

F1) cock. I didnt bother him last time cuz he is on eggs and is very mean and gets aggrivated when u try and take pics of him. I couldnt even open his wing to show u.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.