Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I have posted many times. I have an Old Fashioned Frill Satinette Pigeon that will be 1 year old next month. Just within the last 2 weeks she started acting especially strange. Really affectionate ect.. Well she layed and egg. She has no mate, so I knew that it wasn't fertilized. She showed no interest in laying on it. then a week went by and she layed another one, and 2 days after that she layed one on my shoulder in my car. Should I be concerned that she is laying these eggs or just not worry about it. The last one she acted like she was sick all say untill it came out. I was worried about her. She has not wanted to lay or any of them . Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bonnie

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
make her a little nest in her cage, give her time to lay both eggs and if she sits on them replace with dummy eggs. if she sits the dummy eggs she will have a break in laying, It may be a good idea to get her a mate, pigeons are social as it sounds like you already know:p:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did make her a little nest but she had no interest in laying on them. The last one she layed on my shoulder broke anyway.

We used to have her parents, but they just kept having little ones like crazy. whenever we would switch out the eggs for fake ones they would get really mean and nasty. then we would finally give in and let them have more, and they would take care of them for a day or 2 and then let them die. I couldn'ttake it anymore, so when this one hatched and tey kicked it to the back of the cahe with its head hanging out I said enough!!.. I hand fed this one since day one, and she thinks I am her mother/Mate. She is very attached to me ..needs to be where I am all the time. I take her to work with me everyday.

I feel bad that she doesn't have a mate, but I just didn't want to deal with all that again. She gets huge amounts of love and attention. My husband is even a little jealous of her. Like right now she is snuggled up on my chest here at work..I love her so much, but don't think I could deal with the baby things again.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Try making her a towel nest when she is on you and keep setting her on it on your lap. If she becomes accustomed to snoozing while on the towelnest.... maybe she will then accept the towelnest in the cage for when you aren't holding her and for sleeping. She just might lay her new set of eggs in her towelnest and then you can put them in her cage with her and hopefully she will set them for the regular period and give her body a rest. A hint for adding much needed calcium to replace what she is depleting by laying so many eggs is to buy some cuttlebone from your petshop and scrape the calcium rich cuttlebone on her grit or on her food in a little pile. Our Elaina just gobbles up that stuff and her eggshells are perfect and no problems with laying.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I did make her a little nest but she had no interest in laying on them. The last one she layed on my shoulder broke anyway.

We used to have her parents, but they just kept having little ones like crazy. whenever we would switch out the eggs for fake ones they would get really mean and nasty. then we would finally give in and let them have more, and they would take care of them for a day or 2 and then let them die. I couldn'ttake it anymore, so when this one hatched and tey kicked it to the back of the cahe with its head hanging out I said enough!!.. I hand fed this one since day one, and she thinks I am her mother/Mate. She is very attached to me ..needs to be where I am all the time. I take her to work with me everyday.

I feel bad that she doesn't have a mate, but I just didn't want to deal with all that again. She gets huge amounts of love and attention. My husband is even a little jealous of her. Like right now she is snuggled up on my chest here at work..I love her so much, but don't think I could deal with the baby things again.[/QUOT

being uncomfortable for a few seconds it takes to switch out a couple of eggs is worth not having to see a baby die......:confused: the point of getting her a nest is so she may settle down and not lay as much as this is not good for her to lay all the time, it just takes some effort on your part.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree with what others have stated.

I also just wanted to add, that the fake eggs are also gave that way the female doesn't lay eggs so very often. You'll want to make sure that she is getting enough calcium, a high cal grit, cuttlebone, and dark leafy greens. Laying eggs can deplete their calcium storage, and could cause problems. Letting her sun bath would also be a good idea.

I also recommend NOT petting her back, it is said to induce/stimulate egg laying. From my little experiance, this proves true. My mookee, Beautiful, when she started laying eggs she'd lay them often. She'd also sit on them for about 18days. Her first time laying though, she did NOT sit on them. I was told about what petting her back did, so I stopped. I just pet her head, neck and chest. She began not laying as often, and hasn't laid one for while.

It seems some satinettes have a thing about not feeding their babies...are you sure that they had a long enough beak that they could feed?? Some don't and require, fosters for the babies or help in feeding by the use of a human. They sure make wonderful pets though... I have 5 satinettes as pigeon companions :).

-Hilly

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also recommend NOT petting her back, it is said to induce/stimulate egg laying. From my little experiance, this proves true. My mookee, Beautiful, when she started laying eggs she'd lay them often. She'd also sit on them for about 18days. Her first time laying though, she did NOT sit on them. I was told about what petting her back did, so I stopped. I just pet her head, neck and chest. She began not laying as often, and hasn't laid one for while....
-Hilly
I have never heard of this before. Thanks. I will pass this on to a friend of mine.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts