Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a spotted dove in February. It was lying on the pedestrian pavement, could not stand or walk or fly. As the situation was quite severe, I immediately sent it to a vet for consultation. Some whitish spot was found in the thorat. The vet thought there was some infection, and treated it with antibiotics, antifungal, antiparasitics and some liver supplement. The vet took some X-ray images and found that its liver was much larger than normal, but did not find any bone fractures.

More than two months have been passed. It can fly now, though it is not very energetic. But it still cannot stand, let alone walk. Went to the vet again yesterday, he suggested to stop the antibiotics, antifungal, antiparasitics treatment as he did not see any signs of infection, and to continue with the liver supplement. Yesterday's X-ray image shows some improvement with the liver size. The vet originally guessed the legs problems might be due to spinal injury (as I found it on the ground so the vet bet it had a crash) but the X-ray did not show any problem in the spine.

I am wondering what is causing the problem for the legs. There is some improvements. Back in Feb, the claws could not move at all. Now they can move a bit. Though it can fly now, it lacks the energy a normal spotted dove has.. Do you have any ideas what might be wrong with it?

The X ray image taken yesterday

I took a video showing its claw movement here

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Are you giving calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement on a regular basis? What do the droppings look like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The vet did a blood test in Feb a week after I rescused it and the calcium reading was 10 mg/dL. The vet said it was within the normal range. The dove's been tube fed since day one as it refuses to eat by itself. I'm not sure if it's because it cannot stand. I'm using Vetafarm Critta Care and it says it contains vitamins D3 and calcium.

For the droppings, they look like quite normal.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Some Vit B might be helpful. You will also need to excercise the legs. There are videos on youtube how to do this. Some water therapy might also help. Lower her in a bucket with lukewarm water and see if she starts using her legs to paddle. The leg muscles will atrophy if not getting used. Some massaging will get the blood flowing.

Strange that she is not eating by herself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of my rescued pigeon had similar problem but only with one leg. I started to massage the leg a few times daily and soak the legs in warm water. After one week the pigeon started to use the leg normally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts