Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this one is just not getting any better. Sat Aug 1, noticed my new yb bought from another loft about two months ago was fluffed and sick, took him in, looked at his throat he was clear, but pale, fed him thawed peas and corn, took him to work with me and the new vet here that has treated birds before has been giving him baytril injections, still hand feeding corn and peas, he is not doing better, I started some excat handfeeding this am to see if he is just starving, the peas and corn are about 20 to 30 pieces a few times a day. poops are small and green, he keeps his eyes half closed, he is very light...I should of noticed his weight before hand I feel so bad. Did some fecal floats and found nothing, no worms either, I did deworm about two weeks ago. she wants to blood work and that is fine she just did not want to take blood now as he is so weak....my thoughts are wondering if we should switch him to flagyle, but she wants to finish the bayril course...Im not so sure he is going to make it....Im stumped any hints on what you would do may help.

G

·
personally I would have been giving it the flagyl along with the baytril ,it so hard to figure out what they have when they are young thats why its called youngbirds disease cuz it can be many different things at once .. and you want to get it into them before they get to the point of being so weak ..so I say give the flagyl now and hope for your bird to pick up :(

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
This isn't the time for corn and peas.You need to tube feed Exact at least 3 times a day and at least 15-20ml per feeding. I agree that the birds should be on flagyl in addition to the baytril. In addition to both of those, the bird should be on an anti-fungal such as nystatin.
I agree with Lokotaloft that it's difficult with young birds because it usually is more than just one thing...most often 3 or 4 things bringing them down all at once. If you can knock just one of the illnesses down, it helps.I have seen this over and over.
Worm eggs don't show up in every fecal so keep checking. I would also treat for coccidia.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will do folks, I will give him my best. Thank you for the information, I was thinking of the flagyl all along, but when you are thinking the vet should know best, you go with that.. I knew it would be wise to ask here..

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Hope things improve with your little patient. I know you are giving him every chance to recover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts