Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I finally got my birds! I got 3 young birds and a pair of breeders.
I got them yesterday afternoon, and the 3 yb's are now in the settling cage to get used to their surroundings and trap train.

Here they are! I'm not sure about they're bloodline / breed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious about the cock on the right, he seems to have a little bald spot on his crop.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trap training was a success today! Hunger overcomes fear even though it took them a while but it's all good :D

Quick question, trap training is only done once a day right? Before feeding time then that's it?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Twice if you feed 2 times a day but you can always just let them hang out in the settling cage so that they can familiarize themselves with the backyard. The key right now is to let them figure out how to get into the loft. By trap training them with the feed call you're just killing 2 birds with one stone (pardon the expression). This way they figure out where the trap is and they learn when it's time to eat!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put them in the settling cage about an hour before feeding so they got a good look at their surroundings. I will do the same thing over and over til they jump right in at feeding time then it might be time to loft fly :D

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Nice Kevin. I was very successful in resettling birds by gathering them up and putting them in some cage and putting them on my house roof and loft roof. I let them observe the airspace for one hour. I only have to do that for 2 days.

I do trap training every feed time because food is their motivation to go in.

Trap train your breeders as well even if they are prisoners just in case if they accidentally get out. They obviously have to see their surroundings as well.

You are doing fine. Those birds are already studying and memorizing your surroundings. They look smart and those birds can make you happy. They can make pigeon hobby easy. I'll bet they learn fast.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Rod. I'd probably set them on my patio roof today, they'll get a better view since there are lots of trees around the loft.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Nice looking bird. Have lots of fun with them! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, Just an update, one of the young birds got out when I was putting the feed in and sat out there for a while, I was worried that it might go away. I picked up some grit at the local feedstore and when I came back it was back in the loft! I was so happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts