Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

My pigeon wasn't eating much just pecking feebly at smaller seeds and wasn't flying.

The vet says my homing pigeon *might* have a uterus infection and he *might* not be able to fix it. :-(

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm so sad.

Ellie

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am wondering how the vet come to this conclusion..Did he do any tests?

If you can describe more symptoms, maybe someone here can help with the diagnosis. What does the poops look like? Does the bird sit fluffed up or is it walking about? Anything abnormal about the way it stands, behaves? Does her mouth smell...any canker deposits (white/yellow) inside the mouth?

Take her in and keep her on a heating pad set on low, with a towel between her and the pad. If she is not eating well, you can handfeed her...defrosted peas, corn, seeds etc.
Make sure she is drinking water.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The poop was brownish.

Then later it became a dark green blob surrounded by too much white poo.

The white bit in the poo became wetter and wetter over the next 2 to 3 days.

The bird was walking around slowly but was fluffed up with its crop sticking out.

She waddles instead of walks.

She's pecking at the grit.

She's drinking water.

She can't fly at all. However, she wants to get out of her cage! I opened the door to the loft and she walked onto the landing board then jumped onto the ground!

She used to run/fly towards me but now she seems afraid of me. I call her but she ignored me.

Actually, her eye did close up for 2 days when all this started but then it opened up again.

My bird (Angel) is now with the vet. He's going to keep her for a few days.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hello all.

My pigeon wasn't eating much just pecking feebly at smaller seeds and wasn't flying.

The vet says my homing pigeon *might* have a uterus infection and he *might* not be able to fix it. :-(

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm so sad.

Ellie
birds have oviducts not uterus. but if he think she has an infection , antibiotics may be in order??

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well that depends on what exactly is wrong. Is it an avian vet? Why does he feel that it is an oviduct infection? What is the reasoning here? What tests were done? I mean we can guess at what is wrong. That's why you use a vet. So he can do tests and be sure of what is wrong. Without knowing, kind of hard to treat her. What antibiotic is being used?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that depends on what exactly is wrong. Is it an avian vet? Why does he feel that it is an oviduct infection? What is the reasoning here? What tests were done? I mean we can guess at what is wrong. That's why you use a vet. So he can do tests and be sure of what is wrong. Without knowing, kind of hard to treat her. What antibiotic is being used?
The vet tested her poo and said its a uterus infection.

She's had some antibiotic injections and is also being crop feed.

She's pecking a bit at seeds but not enough to sustain herself.

I'm staring to get really worried.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.