Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a female pigeon layed one egg on my patio and it hatched. it was only a female pigeon no male around. i watched the pigeon grow for the past month or so seemed fine and healthy and today i walked out on the patio to find the month old pigeon laying on its back. it was still breathing but seemed like it was hard for it to breath it i tried to push it over with a broom but i seemed like it could not move about 3 minutes later it stopped breathing and died but after a brown fluid started to come from its mouth what could have happend?
also not sure if this matters but the female pigeon layed 3 more eggs in the past week

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
this is one odd post
I never heard of a pigeon laying three eggs in one week

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I don't know what might have made it succumb. Did the mom leave it alone for more than a short while (like several hours) ? Could have just died of exposure. Have you ever seen the mom hassled by other pigeons ? I have seen sad instances where the mom, while sitting a chick or two, leaves to get food, but is hassled by another nearby pidge which prevents her from tending to the babies quick enough...

As mentioned above, pigeons don't usually lay 3 eggs, only 2.

Could it be that the mom layed a clutch of 2, and only one hatched, then layed a second clutch of 2, so you see 3 eggs ?

Also, odd that no second parent was around.

If you are OK with allowing the new ones to hatch, just let them be; providing it is in a safe place (away from potential predators). If you have some aversion to having a pigeon nest on your patio, you can just shoo the mom away and dispose of the eggs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no im sure it layed 3 eggs it layed 2 eggs then a few days later it layed another one and not sure if it could have died of exposure because ive seen the mother bird leave many times and come back hours later but the month old pigeon that died looks like a full grown pigeon only the eys were still black

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like young bird sickness. Maybe a combination of canker, coccidia and worms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts