Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got called to pick up an injured pigeon today that a friend found grounded in his garden two days ago.

He's kept it in his shed for the last couple of days thinking it was just tired and hungry, but today he noticed the feathers were standing out on one side of it's neck.

I'm assuming the swelling has developed since he found the bird as he hadn't noticed it initially, but can't be sure.
It's a very large lump and the skin is quite red around the swollen area.
I brought it home and have bathed it to try and see what's underneath the feathers.
I can't find a puncture wound or actual broken skin, but it's very red and there are some feathers missing.

I think it's more likely and injury as I think it was possibly racing, so again assume it must have been healthy when it was let out.

Any ideas what can have caused this and what I should do to help please?

Thanks

Janet

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is it possible that this is insect byte?
Tea tree oil may be used topically to reduce swelling and irritation.
I would also check for canker.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Is he eating and drinking ok? How is his weight and how are the poops?
I first thought of canker, but with that size of canker I would think he would be much sicker and this pigeon looks quite good.
So, I guess it is an abscess. Start him on Baytril and Flagyl see how it goes. If it is an abscess, those are hard to treat at that size, it might have to be removed surgically at some point. A puncture wound which is not visible anymore could have caused this.
Is the lump hard, is it mobile against the surrounding tissues? Does it feel hot to the touch?

Reti

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Looks like canker. Have you looked way down in its throat? Although you can't always see it that way.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had just thought about a bite funnily enough after I'd posted. I'll bathe it just in case.

It's throat doesn't show any signs of canker, is nice and pink.

The only reason I hadn't thought of it being canker was because it's a 09 banded bird with what I think is a race band on aswell as it's own band. So I'm guessing it hasn't been away from home long enough for a lump this size to have developed if it was canker. Obviously I don't know I am guessing it's background. I will have to try and find it's owner tomorrow, but didn't want to leave it untreated if there is something I can do.

Janet

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Janet...I don't know if it is or isn't canker but a bird can have canker without canker being visible in the mouth or throat. For years I thought that was the way to check for canker too and was astounded to learn that canker can present in different ways.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to treat it for canker, just in case.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Reti, just saw your post, I'll just go and check it over and come back again,

Janet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked it over again.

It weighs 425gms. Lots of small but well formed poops, slightly green but not bad.

The lump is firm, quite hard and warm to the touch. I not sure but I'd say it's not mobile, I can't get my fingers under it if that's any help in describing it.

As far dwon the throat as I can see I can't see canker.

I only picked him up after it was dark and the lighting isn't good in the room where he is, so I maybe able to see more tomorrow.

Janet

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I just checked it over again.

It weighs 425gms. Lots of small but well formed poops, slightly green but not bad.

The lump is firm, quite hard and warm to the touch. I not sure but I'd say it's not mobile, I can't get my fingers under it if that's any help in describing it.

As far dwon the throat as I can see I can't see canker.

I only picked him up after it was dark and the lighting isn't good in the room where he is, so I maybe able to see more tomorrow.

Janet
Hi Janet,
Being warm to the touch would indicate a possible infection.

Do you see even the smallest pinpoint hole indicating it might have gotten stung or pricked with something?

Cindy

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Janet,

What antibiotics do you have?

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry folks, I'm having to dip in and out a bit as I've got visitors.

Right have found the possible problem.
I went through the feathers again to check and a lot of small feathers came away where it was most swollen.
I can see about three tiny pin pricks. Not massive punctures. So assume will need to start anti-biotics?

I've got Baytril and Synulox.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Have you got enough of both? Personally I would go for Synulox on the basis of "puncture wound" and possible anaerobic bacteria...if it is the right antibiotic you should notice an effect very quickly.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

Yes I reckon I have enough of Noroclav if I use a couple of Synulox I have left over from another dose.

Thanks for all your input on this, sorry I didn't spot the pin pricks before. :eek:

Janet

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good luck with him. Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Injury is totally different today. Looks like one wound now and the skin around the area is more yellowy now. It showed nothing of this last night.

Have started it on Synulox.

Janet

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It may be that the same wound has caused the infection and subsequently the swelling. Personally I never recommend antibiotics, neither to humans nor to animals, unless its the extreme case. Do you have a vet near by so that you can pay a visit ?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Must be a pretty large pocket of inflammatory debris in there that will eventually be forced out by the body. That is to say that if the bird makes it, a rather large ball of yellow gunk will have to come out the side, or be broken up and carried through the GI and out. The way it's going, it'll probably come out the side of the neck. Hopefully, the poops have actual solids in them. Picture?

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 86 Posts