Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How Many people Name Their Pigeons ? Usually when i see racing birds They usually have a 2 part name , why is this ? Lets share some Names ? I Have Eggs ready To Hatch and the Kids have named the Homers we have now , but since i'll be flying these birds I'll be naming Them .... or I may put pictures up so we can vote on what each should be named .... That could be fun ! Hope To hear from everyone on this subject - and Thank You ahead of Time , Peace ! :cool:

·
Registered
174 Posts
A lot of people don't name their birds - it make the losses easier to deal with. Some names are just used on the pedigrees.

I do name my birds. They are all named after countries or cities or states. For example, my favorite birds are Topeka, Cheyenne, Rio, Dover, Brooklyn, Chile and Memphis.

·
Registered
851 Posts
We name ours after physical or character traits. Those bands are hard to read from 2 feet away let alone when that sucker is zooming by.

We have Splash, Gertrude, Checkers, Big Nose, Dumb (we used to have Dumber but...), Air, Yellow Band, That One, and Big mean in the flying loft. Over in the Prisoner area we have Brute, Bernardo, Gruny, Red Head, Boston Blue, and Black Can.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
garacari ... thats a neat way of doing it , I let the kids do ours since this beginning set are all " Prisoners " But the babies I will name .... we have Viper , Jessie , Willy , Skids , Mash , Taters , Coo , UnNamed ( Yes thats her name ), Bill , and Breeze ....... I was Just wondering when i do see pedigree's on birds the names are always 2 part names , if there is a reason ? Thanks for Sharing your birds names , its always fun hearing others names , Cool !

·
Registered
704 Posts
my pigeons names are off royalty like this king,queen,duke,queen of whales,squekers (who now is1 years old),the cook,the rook,charlie wilson,prisoner birds are, maybe,thebreeder,the poor cock,the bacholer. and thats it thanksoh and the dumb and there was a dumer is right on cause there was a king of whales:D:):D:)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
How Many people Name Their Pigeons ? Usually when i see racing birds They usually have a 2 part name , why is this ? Lets share some Names ? I Have Eggs ready To Hatch and the Kids have named the Homers we have now , but since i'll be flying these birds I'll be naming Them .... or I may put pictures up so we can vote on what each should be named .... That could be fun ! Hope To hear from everyone on this subject - and Thank You ahead of Time , Peace ! :cool:
Well when I was racingg I never named a bird until it proofed to be a good racer and some I would call by their band number,as these were the birds that were inportent in the racing and breeding in my loft. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
My birds get named...it seems to add interest in friends/family when they ask about them, most choose a favorite(because they have names)
Princess Buttercup, Farmboy, EnigoMontoya, Falcore, Mush, Charger, Padre, Bodington, Guiness, Maybeline, Skullet, Aristocrat, Gem, Snork, Swift, Sierra, Nevada, Skiny checkers, Radio Flyer(red)

·
Registered
174 Posts
My birds get named...it seems to add interest in friends/family when they ask about them, most choose a favorite(because they have names)
Princess Buttercup, Farmboy, EnigoMontoya, Falcore, Mush, Charger, Padre, Bodington, Guiness, Maybeline, Skullet, Aristocrat, Gem, Snork, Swift, Sierra, Nevada, Skiny checkers, Radio Flyer(red)
Mush = classic! I might have to steal that name!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All Pretty Neat Names - love seeing what everyone Besides " George " has Named their Birds -- I didn't think anyone would respond to this topic and am pleasently surprised that I and my Kids aren't the only ones out there that name our Birds ! Keep them coming -- alot of rather interesting names and ways of nameing birds - Way Cool ! Hey " George " since your the race guy - can you explain why Proven Racers always have 2 part Names when they do name their proven racers ? Thanks Everybody !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have rollers and most have names: Little red, big red, poncho,oreo, meme, broken wing(rolldown),retard(another rolldown that never got right), snowball, snowflake,feathers and to many more to list. Shawn

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Ours get all kinds of odd names ,,,

Sir Poopsalot, Hurdy, Gurdy, Little Monster, Hawkeye, Chickpea, Gonzo, Asbo, Pumpkin, Bugsy Malone, The Godfather, Puffin, Oily Ollie, Bruno, Zygaena ... and many, many more :)

John

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool ! Really Like "Ol' Man Charlie !!!! Nice choices - always good to involve the children for they are our Future Pigeoneers !

G

·
I personally never have named a bird that was under a year old in my loft because for some reason they are always the ones that are taken first and its true it does take a toll on your mental being of raising birds in general .. its freaking sad to say the least:(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LokotaLoft , what do you mean by " Taken " ..... By Hawks ? If so sorry for your Loss / Losses but wouldn't it be better to be able to Say " I remember that day when Old Burt was Snatched outta mid air by that darn Hawk " rather then just remember him as that one bird .... don't you agree ? Its Not always easy but you have to Enjoy The Good times You have with them - and they'll always be other great moments to enjoy -- I Think You should Start naming Your Birds like the rest of Us --- maybe start out with naming them after the " Smurfs " or Something !!!!!!! Peace ! Keep the Names Coming people , I am Loving This Post ! WoooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

G

·
LokotaLoft , the Birds That you have that are over a year old -- You have some names for us to enjoy ?
I have many names for my birds but even the no namers are not forgotten trust me ... and yes its always the hawks that make thier lives shorter when they go missing around here .. its such a bummer as I am very attached to my babys :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good To Hear You are attached and care about your Birds ! I just figured say if you're telling a buddy a story wouldn't it be easier if each bird that a hawk took and if you were trying to talk about them it'd be easier if named -- and You're gonna hold out on us the names of your Older Birds ? Why ? Come On join in On The Fun -- I've seen some funny names , wierd names , and very very interesting ones also - Lets see how yours compare - Live a little for cryen out loud , put a smile on and be Happy ! Peace ! ; )

1 - 20 of 63 Posts