Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and my bird have a lot in common. They are both gorgeous, both demand all my attention. And I met both of them at work. A few years back during my day off my wife called me and said that the shop people (we worked at a dairy) had found a little bird in the rosemary patch. Last nights storm had knocked a nest down. There were many farm cats circling like sharks so they picked it up and shoved it into a locker, and knew I was a "bird person" because I had raised a lovebird many years ago.

Wife asked if we could keep it. Sight unseen, no idea what the bird was, I told her we could try, but its chances were pretty low. When I got there and opened the locker I saw the... uh, not ugliest bird ever, but.. unique looking?

LOOK at that schnozz.

We took him home and I tried to feed it with a bent spoon. Some milk, sugar, and bread all macerated up. The bird had no idea what was going on and angrily lifted his wings at me. We named him Napoleon because of the eagle on the flags. It was ironic. Don't judge.

I drove downtown and picked up some baby parrot formula. When I got home I did research on what I thought he was. I figured he was a dove of some sort because of his huge beak of doom, and learned that pigeons feed by shoving their face into the mom's throat.

Our plan was to chop off the index finger of a new pink rubber glove, and put the formula in that to simulate a pigeon mama-throat-hole. IT WORKED. He made a HUGE mess and got formula everywhere.

We fed him every few hours if he wanted food. Day or night. We took our lunch breaks at work at the same time, drove home, one of us eating lunch in the passenger seat, then feeding Naps when we got home and the other one ate. He got larger. He also was COVERED in dried food, because he is the worst.

He learned to (badly) flap around the room before he learned how to eat solid seeds. We mixed tons of millet into his formula and he would pick it out, but wouldn't eat it off the stick. He learned our hands were his mom and dad, and we pecked at a plate of seeds for HOURS before he drew the conclusion that he could peck and eat the stuff on the plate.

Once he did, he was set. We considered him a Full Fledged Bird and graduated him out of Bird School. We made a hat.

He likes the hat. He actually likes other hats too. He owns 3 now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
His feathers started to really come in and we realized we had ourselves a Chinese Spotted Dove.

Anyway, he's about 3 years old now, and he is basically the devil and the most spoiled thing on the planet.

Even though he is a pain in the butt we still love him very much. He certainly made me think about the difference between "tame" and "well-behaved". :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
what a beautiful bird he grew to be! And yes, "tame" and "well behaved" can be miles apart but we love them anyway, LOL

Thank you for sharing his story.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Very pretty dove. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love your story!!

My. what a great beauty Nap turned out to be!

Also, I am curious to know whether she favors you or your wife, or does she love you both equally?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts