Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know what are other alternatives i can use for bath water for pigeons instead of the one i can buy at the store??? :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I just wanted to know what are other alternatives i can use for bath water for pigeons instead of the one i can buy at the store??? :)

I guess "natural" could mean just plain water.....:rolleyes: I have heard of borax soap....the 20 Mule Team type...if they even sell the stuff any more. It's been awhile since I have been in a store. I don't really know what is in the "Bath Salts" that they sell in pigeon supply places. Personally I use a product imported from Belgium. Called "Natural Badzout" Could be a cheaper way to go, but I only provide my athletes what I consider "The Best". My thinking is I did not spare any expense to acquire what I thought were the best, so it never made any sense to me to try to short change them in any thing along the way. The result has been in the end, they look and feel like a million $$$$. :) Now, if something less expensive, might actually be better, then I am willing to listen...but I won't consider an inferior product to save a $. But, that is me, and I am a little funny that way. ;)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I guess "natural" could mean just plain water.....:rolleyes: I have heard of borax soap....the 20 Mule Team type...if they even sell the stuff any more. It's been awhile since I have been in a store. I don't really know what is in the "Bath Salts" that they sell in pigeon supply places. Personally I use a product imported from Belgium. Called "Natural Badzout" Could be a cheaper way to go, but I only provide my athletes what I consider "The Best". My thinking is I did not spare any expense to acquire what I thought were the best, so it never made any sense to me to try to short change them in any thing along the way. The result has been in the end, they look and feel like a million $$$$. :) Now, if something less expensive, might actually be better, then I am willing to listen...but I won't consider an inferior product to save a $. But, that is me, and I am a little funny that way. ;)
Warren, you just tickle me sometimes.........LOL

Badzout: These bath salts from Comed are a premium bath salt blend that promotes fine feather quality 750 gr....$7.50

Feather-Kleen Bath Salts – Use in bath water to promote silky feathering. Safe and easy to use. 2 1/2 lbs....$6.95

Pego Bath Salts – Excellent formulation for bringing silky sheen to the feathers. 750 gr. $5.95

Natural Bath Salts – Brings on a soft, smooth plumage and rids the skin of flakiness. Also helps to relax the muscles. 650 gr. $4.95

APC Pigeon Bathsalts -- A great blend of bath salts and herbal oils that promotes good plumage and soothes the birds. Developed by Dr. Colin Walker, the "Flying Vet." 750 gr. $6.95

Ideal Bath Salts – From Fabry, a time honored product. Use in the bath water to condition the feathers, relax the muscles, remove skin scales and promote down moult 750 gr. $6.95

Why is it that Badzout is "the best"? Because it costs more? Because it's "imported" from Belgium? Heck 90% of the pigeon products are imported from SOMEWHERE.........They all advertise the same darn thing. They all "do" the same darn thing. Shiny feathers. Now, I understand if you've got money to burn and want to go the expensive route, but just because it costs more, doesn't mean it better.......
As for Borax, the "20 mule team type"..LOL........yes they DO still sell it and yes I've always used it in my birds bath water and yes, I've had people comment on how "slick" my birds felt and have been asked "what do you put in their bath water"?
Check your bottle and see if it has the ingredients listed. Wouldn't you like to know exactly WHAT is put in these "bath salts" that make them so much more superior than anything else? I mean, how MANY different ingredients can a person use to make "bath salts"?
I have no idea what's in the Borax........I just know my birds shine and feel good and it ain't killed one yet and I can buy it locally and not pay shipping and don't have to worry about it being out of stock or running out and if I do, I can just run right down to the local grocery and get some.
Now, I'm not picking on you......well, maybe just a wee bit........LOL.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Warren, you just tickle me sometimes.........LOL

Badzout: These bath salts from Comed are a premium bath salt blend that promotes fine feather quality 750 gr....$7.50

Feather-Kleen Bath Salts – Use in bath water to promote silky feathering. Safe and easy to use. 2 1/2 lbs....$6.95

Pego Bath Salts – Excellent formulation for bringing silky sheen to the feathers. 750 gr. $5.95

Natural Bath Salts – Brings on a soft, smooth plumage and rids the skin of flakiness. Also helps to relax the muscles. 650 gr. $4.95

APC Pigeon Bathsalts -- A great blend of bath salts and herbal oils that promotes good plumage and soothes the birds. Developed by Dr. Colin Walker, the "Flying Vet." 750 gr. $6.95

Ideal Bath Salts – From Fabry, a time honored product. Use in the bath water to condition the feathers, relax the muscles, remove skin scales and promote down moult 750 gr. $6.95

Why is it that Badzout is "the best"? Because it costs more? Because it's "imported" from Belgium? Heck 90% of the pigeon products are imported from SOMEWHERE.........They all advertise the same darn thing. They all "do" the same darn thing. Shiny feathers. Now, I understand if you've got money to burn and want to go the expensive route, but just because it costs more, doesn't mean it better.......
As for Borax, the "20 mule team type"..LOL........yes they DO still sell it and yes I've always used it in my birds bath water and yes, I've had people comment on how "slick" my birds felt and have been asked "what do you put in their bath water"?
Check your bottle and see if it has the ingredients listed. Wouldn't you like to know exactly WHAT is put in these "bath salts" that make them so much more superior than anything else? I mean, how MANY different ingredients can a person use to make "bath salts"?
I have no idea what's in the Borax........I just know my birds shine and feel good and it ain't killed one yet and I can buy it locally and not pay shipping and don't have to worry about it being out of stock or running out and if I do, I can just run right down to the local grocery and get some.
Now, I'm not picking on you......well, maybe just a wee bit........LOL.
Hey.....well.....I do sometimes use price as a guide....it makes me "feel good"....:rolleyes: Now...I don't know, you might be the type that uses generic toilet paper ?.....:rolleyes: And you might buy those "Store Brands" !! :eek:

I might try that Borax sometime, once I finish up the case of "good" stuff I currently own. Maybe if I buy a big box it will cost more then $7.50 and then I won't feel guilty ! :p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use Borax on Renee's recommendation and my Whites are blinding white and squeaky clean!!! You pros are funny sometimes. LOL

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For me it's Borax and Epsom Salts. Some folks are leary of the Epsom
salts but I have had great results. The birds come out of their bath and feel as smooth as a baby's....well, you know!

Dan

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I use borax one week. Then the next bath I put vinegar. And cycle it.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hey.....well.....I do sometimes use price as a guide....it makes me "feel good"....:rolleyes: Now...I don't know, you might be the type that uses generic toilet paper ?.....:rolleyes: And you might buy those "Store Brands" !! :eek:

I might try that Borax sometime, once I finish up the case of "good" stuff I currently own. Maybe if I buy a big box it will cost more then $7.50 and then I won't feel guilty ! :p
Now TOILET PAPER???? I use the GOOD stuff..........gotta be soft!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Because I have several white looking birds, borax usually makes them look really "white." They ended up looking really clean as if they glow in the sun. I wonder if Tide detergent will work. Just kidding!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
20 Mule Team

:cool:

Ok....I sent the wife into Walmart......I hid in the parking lot with a disguise....and she did her nomal shopping. She purchased a 4 pound 12 ounce box for $2.98.

Now, nowhere does it tell me on the box what Borax really is....the only thing I remember is the B & W TV commercials that came on the show....was it "Death Valley Days" ? I figured they dug it out of the ground somewhere in "Death Valley".....something the cow boys used to wash their clothers every six months or so, wheather they needed to or not.......:rolleyes:

Anyways....I never really learned the metric system (I was told it was a vast Communist conspiracy of some sort)....but my imported stuff is $7.50 + shipping for 650 grams. I'm not a real math whiz...but this Borax stuff is "less expensive"...now what will happen when they drink it ?! :eek:

How much do I put into say 4 1/2 gallons of water ? Will it kill any bugs ? It sure seems to do a lot of things according to the box ! Will I be laughed at for being "cheap"....or can I say I'm am giving them the best ? :p

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I use borax one week. Then the next bath I put vinegar. And cycle it.
What do you mean by "cycle" it....don't you mean recycle ? Do you then use it on your salad ? I don't know that I would want to eat it after my birds took a bath in it ! :eek: I have heard some strange things.....but I want my ACV straight out of the Braggs bottle...I'm willing to cut costs, but this sounds a little too extreme for me. And the wife is willing to do a test load of laundry...but I am sure she won't go for me pouring the bird's bath water into the Washing machine, I would try it, but she won't let me near "her" machine anymore. I had this bright idea to wash and recycle felt nesh pads...she did a bit more then scream at me.....wives are funny about things like that I suppose. :eek:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
:cool:

Ok....I sent the wife into Walmart......I hid in the parking lot with a disguise....and she did her nomal shopping. She purchased a 4 pound 12 ounce box for $2.98.

Now, nowhere does it tell me on the box what Borax really is....the only thing I remember is the B & W TV commercials that came on the show....was it "Death Valley Days" ? I figured they dug it out of the ground somewhere in "Death Valley".....something the cow boys used to wash their clothers every six months or so, wheather they needed to or not.......:rolleyes:

Anyways....I never really learned the metric system (I was told it was a vast Communist conspiracy of some sort)....but my imported stuff is $7.50 + shipping for 650 grams. I'm not a real math whiz...but this Borax stuff is "less expensive"...now what will happen when they drink it ?! :eek:

How much do I put into say 4 1/2 gallons of water ? Will it kill any bugs ? It sure seems to do a lot of things according to the box ! Will I be laughed at for being "cheap"....or can I say I'm am giving them the best ? :p
Nothing will happen if they drink it. My birds, especially the YB's always take a drink before the get in the first time anyway........LOL...none have killed over..........
I've been told that the residue left in the emptied bath pan, if picked at, can harm them, but I don't leave my empty bath pans sitting around anyway....so that's not a concern to me. If they don't have water in them, then there's no reason for them to in the loft/aviary, etc, where the birds have access to them.
I put about 1 tbs per gallon.......I don't measure exactly, but that's close. If a bird has a bad case of mites then I don't think the Borax will do that much to get rid of all of them, but birds that are bug free or maybe pick up a few in the race basket, given a bath at least once a week, will not have bugs........
I PROMISE I won't laugh at you for being "cheap" and to me it's not "cheap"......but being frugal (whatever that means......I think it's a cool word...LOL)
Hey, for $3, if you don't like it, give it to the wife to use with the laundry.......
Oh, and I will say that it's easiest mixed if you put it in a little hot water and shake/stir it good, then add the rest of the water. It might NOT dissolve as easily as the bath salts that you're used to.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Flux

Borax is a water dissolvable fluxing agent, also will dissolve in high heat. I use it in blacksmithing on two pieces of metal just before I forge weld them together. When the metal is at high heat you put on the borax and it melts, coats the iron, drives out the oxegen and impurities so that it aids in a clean weld. With the birds Boarx does the same thing, it dissolves in the water, coats every feather fiber, and when it dries it stiffens up the feather just a wee bit. Makes the feathers smooth so that no s--- sticks to them. Helpfull with mites and lice. Coats the insects bodies, the insects breathe through their skin, so when the borax dries it's like coating them in glass, they suffocate and fall off. Doesn't hurt the birds to drink it as long as you don't mix a box to a gallon or two. I've always used it and never use bath salts until the season is over to clean them out before they go into "cold storage" for the winter.

Ralph

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Warren,

My bad! I didn't explain that well. Basically in one week I give them borax (1 tablespoon per gallon). Then the next week plain vinegar (1 tablespoon per gallon). Then another week later borax. Then vinegar again. You know like iterative cycle or repeating cycle.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Borax is a water dissolvable fluxing agent, also will dissolve in high heat. I use it in blacksmithing on two pieces of metal just before I forge weld them together. When the metal is at high heat you put on the borax and it melts, coats the iron, drives out the oxegen and impurities so that it aids in a clean weld. With the birds Boarx does the same thing, it dissolves in the water, coats every feather fiber, and when it dries it stiffens up the feather just a wee bit. Makes the feathers smooth so that no s--- sticks to them. Helpfull with mites and lice. Coats the insects bodies, the insects breathe through their skin, so when the borax dries it's like coating them in glass, they suffocate and fall off. Doesn't hurt the birds to drink it as long as you don't mix a box to a gallon or two. I've always used it and never use bath salts until the season is over to clean them out before they go into "cold storage" for the winter.

Ralph
Thanks Ralph,

For a second there, I thought I was going to have to ask what a fluxing agent was....but you explained it in a manner that even I can understand.

Now in terms of lice etc. I wish someone could explain how the traditional pigeon bath salts acts on them. I still have a bunch of the containers, so I will continue to use that stuff also. I am just one of those people who hates to see lice, and so I dip my birds and at times give them internal things to rid them of these critters. I just can't stand them they just give me the creeps.

And pigeon flies, well they are even worse, on shipping night once, I was going to refuse to ship a pigeon which had pigeon flies. I guess I should have been more diplomatic, the fancier became offended and later quit our club. But, I thought then, and still do now, that a pigeon on shipping night has no business with pigeon flies. To me, it shows a lack of care.

Also any ideas as to which agent is the most deadly on these critters ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have used the 20 mule borax before with good results. I am wondering if it was borax my grandfather used to use in his forging activities. I wish the heck I had paid more attention to things like that when I was a kid.
I am always leery about adding things to the bath water for fear they might drink it. Borax does not seem to be a problem.
I would be extremely careful, matter of fact, I would never use any type of dish or laundry detergent to let my birds bath in. The chemicals in them just scare the heck out of me. (I own a trailer park and I have it in my leases that people can not use Tide in the laundry. It contains phosphates which the DNR told me would play heck on my septic/lagoon system.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts