Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a pigeon which opens its mouth really wide and then stretchs his head forward. She does this repeatedly for about half a minute at times. I have isolated her and keeping a close eye on the rest of my flock.

This isn't yawning. I have seen pigeons yawn and this is not it. Almost apears as though it has an itch on the inside of it's throat that it can't get to, so the only way of soothing an it would be to stretch the infected area. That is what it looks like to me.

I'll have to check it's poop tomorrow to see if it is off.

Anyone ever run into this?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Do pigeons really yawn?

I would like to know too! My Krik-Krik does that sometimes. I'm not sure if its yawning or just throat-stretching. He doesn't do it all the time - just at random.

If anyone knows what symptoms these are, pray do tell!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Some thoughts....

I rescued (?) a very sick and malnourished pigeon at Neumarkt ("New Market") in Cologne, Germany, a few years ago, who died after a day or so. There are streetcar, bus, and subway connections there, and quick-food stands selling wurst and pommes (French fries) and such.

One thing I noticed was that he would stretch his neck up and somewhat forward and to his right, then move his head from right to left.

I did a postmortem on him to look for anything obvious (which was inconclusive, since I am not a vet), and found what seemed to be the remains of several hard, crusty French fries, triangular in cross-section, tapering to a point at the bottom, where they could have stuck in the skin of the crop and blocked the opening where the partially-digested crop contents would pass. If this was an obstruction, then perhaps it was a factor leading to malnourishment, possible disease, and death.

The lining of the crop has to be tough and elastic, considering the seeds and roughage pigeons swallow, but there probably comes a point (pun intended) where too much is too much.

Larry

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
I've got a pigeon which opens its mouth really wide and then stretchs his head forward. She does this repeatedly for about half a minute at times. I have isolated her and keeping a close eye on the rest of my flock.

This isn't yawning. I have seen pigeons yawn and this is not it. Almost apears as though it has an itch on the inside of it's throat that it can't get to, so the only way of soothing an it would be to stretch the infected area. That is what it looks like to me.

I'll have to check it's poop tomorrow to see if it is off.

Anyone ever run into this?
First thought is any obstruction or discomfort in the throat could cause this. Sometimes particular seeds can stick to the sides of the throat, though not cause obstruction, like linseed. Another possible cause is canker. If it's in the throat, there's not necessarily going to be anything much different about the poops. Do you have medication for canker? If so, it would not hurt to treat for it, as that's one possibility that would covered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts