Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are taking in two baby Pidgeon’s for a few days, since they were under our neighbors deck that is being replaced.
Need any advice on feeding (how often) and keeping them warm (is it ok to cover them with a towel, if we have them in their nest in a box on a heating pad ...inside the box is 85 degrees. ....Want to be sure covering them with a towel is ok and it’s not too warm for them).
Once the deck is replaced, we will put them out each morning (with a warmed sock with warm rice underneath) very close to their original spot in the hopes their mom comes back (they only have their mom since their dad was found on the deck).
We know mommy Pidgeon must miss her babies, so we really hope she will come back.
Also, they are chirping a bit at times. Is that something they normally do, or are they asking us for something?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My hubby and I were up all night searching sites on how to care for them. That pic was of my hubby feeding them. Now my hubby feeds them while I hold the little cuties.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The parents won't take them back after a few days. They look like about 3 days old, their eyes open by day 5. Temp should be 35 to 37 degrees Celsius, you can convert to Fahrenheit. If warm enough, there should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings. It's important that the crop should empty between feedings.

Are you feeding a handraising formula for parrots and parakeets? You can google on youtube "how to feed baby pigeon", lots of videos available. You can also cover the syringe with a piece of rubber glove with an x cut into it. They will stick their beaks inside for feeding.

They will appreciate a feather duster for covering. Please keep us updated, so many things can go wrong at this stage. Can you post a photo of the droppings?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much, Marina!! They are warm as the room they are in is at 85-89 degrees Fahrenheit (and they are chirping as the Wildlife center said they would do if they are warm enough).

They ate very little at first, but are very active today and ate well. We will let their crop empty before feedings.
We are advised they should eat about 4 times a day (but only after the crop is emptied).
Is that correct?

We have been feeding them as shown on YouTube. The formula is called Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula (my hubby makes the mixture based on their age, since I’m a terrible cook!)

Another question: it appears the neighbors deck will be done today, so we could put the nest near it’s original spot in the hopes their mom comes back. Wildlife said that should be fine, and just to place a warmed sock with heated rice in it and let them sit for a few hours each day to see if the mom returns. But we’re afraid it’s too cold (with the high reaching 7-8 Celsius/45-50 Fahrenheit). Do you think they would be ok for a few hours each day?
Also, the dad pigeon passed away before we took the nest in. Do you think they would have a good chance of survival if they only have the mom to fend for them?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Is the mom still around? It's always better for them to be raised by their parents. You can try put the nest back, I hope it will work. Just make sure they stay warm. She will be able to raise them by herself if enough food is available. Are the neighbours prepared to put down seeds for her?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We’re going to try putting the nest out tomorrow (when the neighbor’s deck is complete). But only if we can get it safe like it was before the deck replacement.
The neighbor’s can’t put down seeds (since there are neighborhood cats), but we’ll do all we can to help them out.
Thank you again for your advice, Marina!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So sorry for the delay (between work, etc., it’s very busy. ....and my hubby is not a fan of posting, so that’s my job!!)
They’re doing well and thank goodness we room them in since the wind was terrible yesterday with everything strewn about, and a huge temperature drop.
Here are some pics...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We’re being very careful when feeding, to make sure the crop is empty before feeding again (and not feeding so much that the crop gets too full).
We also cleaned their bin and are changing the paper towels at the bottom more frequently since they like pooping!!
The only issue we have is that some of the food from the other day got on them and isn’t easy to successfully clean off. Once the feathers come in good, we will try again with a bit of water (we just are focused on keeping their body temperature constant, so we know not to bathe them or get them too wet).
Thank you again for all your help, Marina!
P.S: My hubby is now looking into making a pigeon house so when they’re ready to fly they know they can always come back here to rest.
Can’t believe how much we love these little guys!!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Pooping is good! You can get a jar of baby applesauce. If the crops become a bit slow, add a small amount to their formula. This helps with digestion.

When feeding, you can fold a piece of toiletpaper around their crops (like a napkin). This will help keeping them clean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you again for the tips!! My hubby has been using a tissue napkin, so they’re eating in style now!
....On another note, it doesn’t look like our condominium association will let us put up a pigeon house, so we’re doing more research on how to release them when they’re ready.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
They still have a long way to go before getting released. They will also be very tame when grown up, so that will make things difficult. Their chances of surviving once released are very slim as they never learned the necessary survival skills from their parents. Esp where to find food. Lots of people keep pigeons inside their homes. You even get pigeonpants to prevent your pigeon from pooping all over your place. But those are topics that one can discuss later on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appreciate that advice. My hubby wanted to let them free when they are old enough (figuring they would come back at night). But I agree it’s too risky. Especially after all the love and care we took in trying to save them.
We would love to keep these cuties, but we’ve had to keep them secure (locked in their own room) since we have a cat. While I’m attached, I strongly feel they need a safe place to live.

I’m still trying to find a suitable sanctuary for them, since I think that is best to give them a good chance for a happy (safe!) life.

....I will continue to push my hubby to release them to a good sanctuary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Marina,
We have been so busy taking care of them, that I didn’t have time to post an update.

We were afraid Tails wouldn’t make it (since she had a ruptured air sac and my husband was constantly giving her therapy — sterilized pin pricks and messages).
We were up almost round the clock and at one point Tails threw up twice and was so swollen for about two weeks to the point she could not see. But she ate and pooped well, and was so full of life. We kept giving her a TON of love and are amazed that she’s now recovered.
(Attached is a before pic of her, and an after pic of her with her brother Hoot).
Both are doing fantastic now and have beautiful feathers filling in.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts