Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We are going to care for them a bit more to make sure they are ready for a sanctuary or adopter (we want to find the right home).
Tails had a rough start, so we want her to
be completely healthy before she and her brother go to a forever home.
But I did have a question: Is there a specific type of indoor ‘housing’ we should make for them. They are bigger now and flap their wings a bit, but not sure what type of cage or resting area we should set up for them in their room in our house. Also, we read that their might be some things (like ceramic bowls to perch on) that we should get to strengthen their leg muscles. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are their legs okay?! It looks like they might have splayed legs. Sometimes little ones get splayed legs and it will effect them for life.
I would do a google search about it to give you more info and make sure they aren’t in danger of that!
Also I can’t believe that poor bubble pigeon baby pic! That looks awful! I am so happyhe is feeling better! Thank you for helping these sweet darlings!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are going to care for them a bit more to make sure they are ready for a sanctuary or adopter (we want to find the right home).
Tails had a rough start, so we want her to
be completely healthy before she and her brother go to a forever home.
But I did have a question: Is there a specific type of indoor ‘housing’ we should make for them. They are bigger now and flap their wings a bit, but not sure what type of cage or resting area we should set up for them in their room in our house. Also, we read that their might be some things (like ceramic bowls to perch on) that we should get to strengthen their leg muscles. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I use a large dog crate for my birds. I have some platform perches I bought on Amazon but even a small cardboard box could work temporarily. I also put down a yoga mat that I cut to fit the floor area of the dog crate (with newspaper on top) the yoga mat makes it so it isn’t too slippery for them to walk on and helps prevent splayed leg.
I use ceramic ramekins for food and water dishes
I also have an adorable cat tent that looks like a strawberry that my pigeon Boo Radley absolutely loves!
This is her making a nest from pope cleaners that we made into shapes for her! 🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Amazing job with the airsac! How long ago was that photo taken of them in the round baskets? Are the legs still sticking out like that? If so, then you have a serious case of splayed leg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you so much for your reply! We were afraid their legs weren’t developing properly, so we really appreciate you advising us that there is an issue. We just watched several YouTube videos and my husband made braces for both Hoot and Tails. We will see how it goes and add a support for the legs if their condition doesn’t improve during the week.

And we’re going to take your advice on housing for our ‘kids’. We are going to set it up tonight and hope they enjoy their new accommodations. 😊

P.S: What a cute pigeon nest!! Boo Radley looks like one happy kid!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks, Marina! My husband was trying not to needle Tails too much since he didn’t want to poke too many holes (since it really was an ongoing problem with her continually blowing up after she went down).

He soon realized she did much better when resting and sleeping (since being excited puffed her up.) And the greatest improvement came unexpectedly after the temperature dropped one night and he forgot to turn on the heater. He was afraid they didn’t make it, but instead Tails improved greatly since then and her brother, Hoot, is also doing great.

Sorry for the long story, but wanted to share in case others have this issue with a ruptured air sac.

And thank you for noting the leg condition. We were thankful for your post and BooRadley’s.
....Back to therapy for the ‘kids’!! Hopefully they’ll be walking properly soon.

P.S.: Thank goodness for good people like you to help us with these little ones. Our entire family, especially our daughter, love the pigeons

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have a completely new question. Would you know of any caring and dedicated pigeon adopters in central New Jersey?

We are going to take care of Hoot and Tails, but thought it is best to start trying to find a forever home sooner than later.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Can you post a photo of their legs? Splayed leg needs to be fixed when they are still very young, orherwise the sockets grow in the direction of the legs. Correcting the legs by making braces can then cause then a lot of pain and needs to be done surgically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Marina,

We truly appreciate all the advice. My husband has been going by what he’s learned on YouTube and this site for what has worked for other pigeon owners (since it is impossible in this area to get a vet, or a local wildlife center, to help.) Apparently pigeons aren’t considered as treatable birds or pets. 😕

They are still young (do not have all their feathers). So we realize the urgency to help them before they are full grown.

As there are no other avenues in our area, we will do our best for these little guys while we try to find a forever home for them. Fortunately, there is a good write up from a vet who has treated this condition (Correcting Spraddle or Splay Leg in Baby Birds)

P.S: I don’t trust the local avian centers, since the advice they previously gave when we called about the air sac issue, was to put them back in the nest and put the nest high enough where the neighborhood cats can’t get to them and hopefully their mom would come back (even though the weather was brutally cold and windy, their dad isn’t alive so there is only their mom, the cats can climb almost anywhere, etc.), and not to feed them at all since it could damage their stomachs.
P.S. #2: We are so attached to Hoot and Tails. Last night I was holding them on my chest and they nuzzled in my arm. And when I pet them they started purring like a cat! I was amazed and so happy that they are happy.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Keep us updated. I think they should become permanent pets in your home. You've raised them from such a young age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How far from NYC are you? A friend of mine runs a pigeon transport/ambulance service, Gotham Rescues and I could possibly find someone to meet up with you to bring them to the WBF in Manhattan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
URGEMT REPLY TO BOO RADLEY

We are in urgent need of help for Tails. Can you please call me once you get this message 732.735.8211)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I sent a separate message to you, asking that if you have any contacts at WBF, that you ask them to take special care of Hoot and Tails.
Our family was crying so hard and begged them to tell me if Hoot can’t be treated for splayed leg to let me know and we’ll take him back. He is so healthy and full of life that we want him to have a happy life.
Tails is in real bad shape, but she’s a fighter so all we can do is pray for her-

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Sorry to say this, but won't they get euthanized with legs like that? By that age the legs will need to be surgically corrected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Do NOT take any animal you care about to the Wild Bird Fund.
(They are great at treating wildlife, who have no other hope. But if you can give a disabled or animal with issues a home, or know someone who can despite any disability they might have, you should absolutely do that.)
If you go to the Wild Bird Fund, the animal will be taken before you sign the form that legally indicates you cannot get the animal back and it is at their discretion how the animal is treated or put to sleep. Again, the WBF is great for true wildlife ONLY. But if you can help the wildlife instead or find it a sanctuary, that is MUCH better. And for birds, the WFB does NOT treat splayed legs if they are more than 2 weeks old so do NOT bring them if they have splayed legs.
If you need a sanctuary in NJ, try the Raptors Trust (check with them first on the phone or via email how they receive and treat animals).
Also, please try an avian vet if you can, which is the best option (especially if there is an emergency), and stay with your animal the entire time so they do not take them and make decisions without your approval. A good vet in NYC is The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine (but be very careful and DO NOT go across the street since that is the wrong place and you cannot get your animal back).
Wishing all animal lovers out there the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I was advised by WBF that:
1) They both had major health problems - one had severe respiratory issues and could not survive.
2) Both were not developing properly, since they did not have the body structure and feathers they should have had by a few weeks back, and it appears they had bone development issues.
(In their opinion he would definitely also have succumbed to respiratory and health issues that would have made it painful for him and that he would not survive to adulthood even in a forever home.)
...But I take that with a grain of salt since no one can accurately say what will happen. It’s their opinion.
Long story short, our family is so raw right now that we are not bringing in any more birds (at least not for a very long time).
All we can do at this point is help outdoor birds so we don’t get a close bond again.
We couldn’t even tell our daughter since we are trying not to cry, let alone get words out.
We are not going to tell her. But we will make sure she knows not to go to WFB in the future.
P.S: If you mention to anyone that a pigeon has splayed legs that can likely not be treated, be sure to to tell them to ask all the right questions of any care provider or sanctuary, and that they do not hand over the bird under any circumstances unless they are positive of the treatment, and to see the post I made for their options.
(Otherwise they may go to an expert that really will not give them a chance)
P.S: #2: Apologies if I do not reply much more to this thread. Our family is still processing everything. We got passed being numb and are now just heartbroken.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts