Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I just received a beautiful white Rock Dove who walked into my husband's work place. I need to go out quickly to buy food, a place for her to sleep etc. Can you tell me by the looks of her whether she has received good care & why the tail feathers look so worn? Kept in too small an area? She is very sweet & calm & does not mind being held but seems not to be interested in flying. Her wings do not appear clipped but are in a worn condition like the tail feathers. Do you think she is a homing pigeon & got lost or too hot? (It is very hot here lately) Right now she has water & some parakeet feed & is in a cool (not cold) peaceful area of my living room. We have an aviary with finches here & one dove. Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce her to that aviary? What special needs might she have? Should I place "Found' posters in the area? If she is let go here, about ten miles away, can she find her home again? Why might she not be flying? I appreciate any information you might have so I can do the best thing for her. Thanks in advance for your time. :) Here are some pictures of her:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That would be a garden fantail, The feathers on her tail would be like that because of a small area or somthing else could have happen. They are not good flyers so thats probally why she wont fly. They do not have the homing ability and there tail should be like that just not in that bad of condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ggoss1,

I would love to give you this beauty! I am Santa Ana, in Southern California. My e-mail is [email protected]. If you send me your phone number I can call you right now. Thank you for your generousity! :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
She is someone's pet, most likely. They may be looking all over for her. I would definitely post an ad on Craigslist in your area in Pets, and also hang some posters around town if possible. They are generally quite poor fliers and she likely hasn't come from too far away--though there is always the exception. :rolleyes: She should enjoy your dove food as well as red grit (which you likely already have for the dove). Please DO keep her separate from the other birds for a few weeks for a quarantine period, so that you can make sure she's healthy and doesn't get your other birds sick! I hope you find her owner or if not, that she enjoys her life with you or with whomever she finds a home with. She is certainly lovely. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts