Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a fledgling mourning dove today on a sidewalk in residential downtown Philly. I couldn't see a nest or parents nearby. I captured it and have it in my back yard, safe from predators, under a laundry basket. It seems healthy, well-feathered, walks and runs, and spreads its wings as if trying to fly. I've fed it twice in the last 8 hours, ground flax seeds mixed with water, about 3 eye droppers full. Am I caring for it correctly (I improvised the food?) How long should I feed it? We have pigeons, doves and sparrows in our back yard when I put good out. Should I return it to where I found it, keep it under the basket (how long?), or let it loose in the back and hope a dove family adopts it? I have cats and a husband with ALS inside, and no car, so need to do this as simply as possible. Thanks.. PS: It was raining when I found her, so I'm calling her Rain while I'm trying to help her. It's warm and dry tonight, so she's fine outdoors, I thinkm

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your concern.

The youngster should not be left outside. Please bring indoors, in a cat carrier or cage would be better.

Dove seed would be the appropriate food for the fledgling. Flax seed is way too fatty by itself and the youngster may get the squirts, you can add it as a seed to a dove mix, but only 1% of the mix.

Are you sure the parents are not around?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you for your concern.

The youngster should not be left outside. Please bring indoors, in a cat carrier or cage would be better.

Dove seed would be the appropriate food for the fledgling. Flax seed is way too fatty by itself and the youngster may get the squirts, you can add it as a seed to a dove mix, but only 1% of the mix.

Are you sure the parents are not around?

Just what I was going to say.:) Can you do this for the dove? I was also wondering if it was really abandoned, as the parents do leave them alone for spells in the garden and come back to them. Happens all the time here. A picture to show the age would be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.