Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a 9 year old pet (rescued) pigeon. She became sick a few days ago. Our vets (including cert. avian vet) have diagnosed a reproductive problem that has caused severe anemia and regurgitation. She has been treated with lupron, fluids, anti-inflammitory, and antibiotics. She is actually a little better today.

She has not eaten for a few days, she needs food but won't eat on her own. Is there anything I can safely force feed her? (The regurgitation has stopped at this point, and we have been able to give a few of the meds orally).

Please advise if you have experience with this. The only thing that can help more at this point is continuing to reverse the anemia, and her body needs energy to do that.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She laid eggs for a long time, but hasn't laid for a few years. The x-rays showed massive swelling of the reproductive system, obscuring everything else in the abdominal cavity and pushing the gizzard way up. High white count, *severe* anemia. There are a number of problems to be dealt with, most of which can be if only we can get through the anemia and weakness right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS we've given her a tiny bit of baby bird formula and she is keeping it down so far. Does anyone know how much to give? She hasn't eaten in like 4 days and I do not want to overload her.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I cant offer much help...hang on, the experienced members won't be too far away. The bird was drinking? If not she'll need rehydrating before you feed her. I would say little and often with the Kaytee but make sure the crop is emptying. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I am so very sorry you and your pet are going through this. I would like to ask though if your vet ruled out cancer? Did they say whether there was a mass in the area or just fluid accumulation? Pigeons can get cancer. Has the swelling gone down?

As to feeding her. I would start out with about 5 cc every couple of hours for today and then increase it to 10 cc about every 3 hours tomorrow, gradually working up to about 20 cc per feeding. Hand feeding an adult can sometimes be stressful on them. Also, try to keep her as warm as possible and in a quiet area.

Please let us know how she does. We have all gone through the illness of a beloved pigeon so we know what you're going through and wish you and her the very best.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I wanted to add also to carefully watch her poops so that you'll know that what goes in comes out....:) The crop, located on her chest, should be just plump and soft. For her, I wouldn't want it to be more than 1/4 to 1/2 full until all the swelling goes down because that just adds to the discomfort and could cause her to start regurgitating again. She needs just enough food to keep her going.

You can add about 1/2 tsp. plain yogurt to the mix to help her digestive system. Also, there is a product called Nutrical that is available at most pet stores like Pet Smart in the dog products area. Squeeze about 1/4 inch of that into the formula and that will add calories. We use that on most of our rescues who have trouble eating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for the advice. They can't rule out cancer because they just couldn't see enough on the xrays with all the swelling. The swelling is probably going down since she is not regurgitating and seems a tiny bit better.

The vet is coming over to administer fluids now, then I will be picking up Nutrical. Thank you all so much.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Leslie...........I can't add much to what the other members have already advised you, however I just would like to wish you and your beloved pet pigeon the best. You are doing all you can and I pray for a speedy recovery for your bird.

Please keep us all posted on how she's doing.

Regards,

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Leslie,

I hope your pigeon is starting to feel better. There is only one type of Nutri-Cal that I know of, and it is for both dogs and cats. In addition to the syringe feeding, you could try thawing some frozen peas and feeding some of those as well as soaking a good quality dry dog or cat food in water until somewhat soft and feeding small pieces of that.

Good luck to you and your beloved pigeon, and please keep us posted.

Terry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Need More Advice Please!

Hi, I posted yesterday about my sick pigeon. Thank you for your advice and well-wishes.

Beebs, our bird, had some improvements yesterday (grooming a little, hooting a little, flicking her wings a little). But something else is going on.

Her head was slightly rhythmically tilting to one side. That progressed to her head kind of bobbing and weaving around, and looking back and up. By night her head was drooped totally forward so the top is flat on the ground while she is standing. She can lift it, but seems to prefer(?) it down.

Any ideas or advice? Is this PMV? I should mention that she had anesthesia for her x-rays on Thursday. Could that be related? Also, she is taking Baytril for her other problem. Is that dangerous if it is PMV?

Thank you all again.

-Leslie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know if this makes a difference, but we don't have any other birds, and there are no feral pigeons around where we live, and we don't wear shoes inside the house. If it is PMV how would she have gotten it?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts