Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this world of "blogging," so bear with me....

In April, a beautiful, LARGE, white unbanded pigeon flew into our Southern California yard for water and food. It's been here ever since: eating with our bevy of birds but flying elsewhere to spend the day, then coming back near dusk to eat again, then roosting in one of our eucalyptus trees at night.

We're concerned about what the winter will bring. Should we build a shelter of some type for it?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It doesn't get very cold in Southeren California in the winter...does it?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Depends on where in Southern California we're talking about. It can get very cold in some parts of So Cal in winter. Where are you located munkee?

I think the real danger will be when the hawks return in force .. best to try and capture this white pigeon and give it a totally safe home, IMO.

Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, despite the notion that SoCal is always sunny, we have frost and freezing weather in Jan/Feb. We're located inland from San Diego - in Santee.

IF we could catch this beauty, the "safe home" you mention is what size? He's in there 24/7? No flying? Hmmm. Obviously, we're not familiar with caged birds. The birds we feed are free flying; some are migrators.

Honestly just wanted advice to be sure we're doing all we could since he's "the only one of his kind in the crowd."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts