Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately need advice.
We are wildlife rehabers in North Carolina. Two years ago we rescued a baby pigeon at a junk yard. It was winter, so she learned to fly in the house and got so good, she has since survived two hawk attacks when flying outside. She lives in the house with us and has bonded to me. We tried to introduce her to several males, but she totally ignores them. she loves to go flying several times a day while I walk the dogs. She lands either on my head or my shoulder when she feels like it. She always insists on getting back in the house and sleeps in the bedroom perched on the closet door.
Every month she comes in heat and lays two eggs which she sits on for about 2 weeks. Naturally they don't hatch as she thinks I am her mate. She attacks my wife and can bite quite hard as well as uses her wing in boxer fashion to strike at her. We have tried to leave her outside, but she usually succeeds to get back in. When she does not, the neighbors call and complain that our pigeon is bothering them. What can I do to get rid of her? She does seem to like all men. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for rescuing the bird. She sounds like a wonderfully adjusted bird to a human world. Do not leave the bird outside, she is sitting duck by herself to predator attack. She ignores the males because she thinks she is already mated to you. If you cannot keep her indoors and don't want her, put her up for adoption in our adoption forum. We have many members who have pet pigeons, who came about them the same way.

Also, you can release her with other pigeons in a flock that is thriving (if conditions are met), you can start with soft release at first, or find her a home.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have raised a pigeon from just after she hatched that has very similar behavior. I suspect the issue with yours and mine, is that they don't know they are pigeons. It's not uncommon for me to receive pigeons that likely were hand raised and released, in to a flock and they just can't make it because they don't relate to other pigeons. I know for a fact that my girl wouldn't make it in the wild and I doubt yours would either. My pigeon will not accept a mate either. I have tried several times and offered her handsome choices.
Her behavior is very typical...pecking, wing slapping and such. It really helps understanding pigeon behavior if you are going to live with one.Pigeons don't seem to make an association with hands as being connected with faces...rather something to conquer and kill. I have pecks all over my hands from working with pigeons...almost looks like I have the plague.
I certainly agree with Skyeking that you should not let her outside as a single pigeon is an easy target for a hawk. As problematic as she has become for you, I suspect you would feel awful if the next hawk attack, she didn't survive.
I agree that if you cannot come to terms with living with her, adopting her out as a pet is your best option. Do keep in mind that the adjustment may not be easy for her and she would do best with an individual with prior pigeon experience.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Desperately need advice.
We are wildlife rehabers in North Carolina. Two years ago we rescued a baby pigeon at a junk yard. It was winter, so she learned to fly in the house and got so good, she has since survived two hawk attacks when flying outside. She lives in the house with us and has bonded to me. We tried to introduce her to several males, but she totally ignores them. she loves to go flying several times a day while I walk the dogs. She lands either on my head or my shoulder when she feels like it. She always insists on getting back in the house and sleeps in the bedroom perched on the closet door.
Every month she comes in heat and lays two eggs which she sits on for about 2 weeks. Naturally they don't hatch as she thinks I am her mate. She attacks my wife and can bite quite hard as well as uses her wing in boxer fashion to strike at her. We have tried to leave her outside, but she usually succeeds to get back in. When she does not, the neighbors call and complain that our pigeon is bothering them. What can I do to get rid of her? She does seem to like all men. Any suggestions?

Not sure what you mean about getting rid of her.. does that mean find a new home?..or keep her from following you? anyway..a good way to get rid of her permanetly is to let her out as a lone bird.. Im surprised you have even had two chances.. one should of been enough to figure out the bird can not be out as a lone bird as a bird of prey will pick her off at some point. If you want to find her a home there is an adoptions thread on this site, I would suggest location in the title and a picture in the post. If you want her to not follow you and have a new mate then do that..but you will have to house them together at some point and not pay attention to the hen at all execpt to feed and water and tend to their loft. a flight avairy outdoors with a section closed off to the elements where they can perch and nest and eat and drink would be ideal for two pigeons. esp if they were put in it at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts