Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Am a small mammal rehabber over here on the north East Coast. I do not work with pigeons although I have saved a few and other birds in the past. I am not an expert on them though and would appreciate some help. A few people on another board suggested I come here. I'll try to make this short and sweet.
Pigeons have taken over my yard and shed. There is massive amounts of feces everywhere. It is not livable and I cannot enjoy the space or let my dogs out with out them tracking in poo and getting it all in their fur or in the house. There is poo on everything from the BBQ to the fence to the swing set to the ground back there and more. If it weren't so much I would try to tolerate it but I just cannot tolerate this. I am not a mean person, I love ALL animals. I have even given them bread on the extra cold and snowy days here. My dogs are super animal friendly and do not chase. They were trained this way because I do wildlife. The next door dog is so used to them he could care less and the birds are used to dogs and people since its just city life over here. They won't let you touch them but do not fly unless you try to grab them. They are not homing or racing pigeons.
I will wait until it gets warmer out before chasing them out since they have shelter here but once it gets warm they have to go. Its not healthy like this or livable. I need some advice on how to keep them out of the yard, shed, or possibly relocating them.
Also there is one Pigeon who regardless of where the others go , sleep, what they do , is always on his own and always sleeps in the same spot. He is not injured that I can see, can fly, and leaves occasionally, but just wondering if thats normal and if I need to keep an eye on him or anything. I do actually care...
Attached is a photo of what part of the yard looks like due to them. This continues all over. Please don't take this as me being against Pigeons. I am not, just can't keep them in my yard if its gonna be like this.
Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Are they all standing on the electric or telephone wires overhead and dropping that way?
What is standing overhead for them to drop their dropping?? It is hard to tell you this but stop feeding them and gradually they will find another place to eat and bother you less---and this is hard to do---and I have the same problem as you---Who knows about that single bird---too early to tell---could be a young --could be from another group--could be not feeling well--too early--maybe he thinks he or she found a area to nest in and is just sitting there watching it--they do observe first.....It's snowing here and I have 5 pigeons in front of my loft door waiting for me to eat---Its hard--your heart goes out to them....Stop feeding because believe me you will attract more--and a lot more.....c.hert

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi C.Hert
I don't feed them. I just moved here last month. I have only put bread out twice. Once when we had the blizzard and once when it was like zero degrees and everything was frozen. They do not rely on me at all. There is no power line the sit on the top of the swing set or anything around. The BBQ etc. This is actually Inside the shed. They sleep up in the shed too . We have put tarping up but they go around it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hi C.Hert
I don't feed them. I just moved here last month. I have only put bread out twice. Once when we had the blizzard and once when it was like zero degrees and everything was frozen. They do not rely on me at all. There is no power line the sit on the top of the swing set or anything around. The BBQ etc. This is actually Inside the shed. They sleep up in the shed too . We have put tarping up but they go around it.
Feeding them twice could be part of the reason they keep coming back. Don't feed them at all.

Is a neighbor feeding them? If so they may know that you yard is a no danger zone so they are waiting there until the feeders are out.

Close the shed up so they can't get inside, get a preditor, coyote, fox or big cat, call and play it near the shed or inside. This may help in keeping them away too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feeding them twice could be part of the reason they keep coming back. Don't feed them at all.

Is a neighbor feeding them? If so they may know that you yard is a no danger zone so they are waiting there until the feeders are out.

Close the shed up so they can't get inside, get a preditor, coyote, fox or big cat, call and play it near the shed or inside. This may help in keeping them away too.
They have been here like this before I moved here. Had nothing to do with me feeding them. Its been a problem for a year now says the landlord. None of the neighbors I see are feeding them. I don't plan on ever feeding them again though trust me.
I live in the city. No predators around here nor can I "get one" haha. I have a cat but she is inside only. There are cats outside , the pigeons don't care. I don't want them hurt either.
I can't close the shed up. Its more like a large garage with no door. Its huge. No way to close it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You just moved there and you don't know what the tenent did before you--could have fed the birds all the time or housed them in the shed ?? Have the landlord shut that shed up with a door if it can be tight with no way for birds to get in and never have food in your yard or feed them---wait it out to see if it slims down---they also have some kind of roof wire that swings around (movement) in the wind and suppose to scare birds away and other things...eyes looking at birds--etc--check this out.....and also some kind of wire that fits on roof to stop birds from perching--won't hurt them but they go other places to land--. Foys pigeon supply has these things -go on the internet.c.hert

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
SquirrelGirl;449866 I live in the city. No predators around here nor can I "get one" haha. I have a cat but she is inside only. There are cats outside said:
It's a preditor recording NOT real animals, either CD or cassette that you put in a player with the volume turned up.
Even though it's the city you probably have more preditors than you realize sneaking around.

If this has been an on going problem your landlord should be doing something about it.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Depends on how much you use or intend to use the shed, maybe. That part of the problem may be fixable with netting, if it remains with no door, but it would have to be such that birds would not get trapped in it.

If the lone pigeon roosts in the shed, maybe it's just using good sense :) or maybe thinking "good place to have a nest".

If someone before you, as has been suggested, did feed them - not even every day - then human activity around the place may lead them to think they may still get fed. If after excluding them from the shed there is nothing in the yard which is attractive to pigeons, I'd expect them to move on after a while.

John

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A couple of us told her to come here from the squirrel board. On the squirrel board she was worried about disease that her dogs can get from the poop and herself. I'm glad they have shelter until spring, that is very nice of you. Its bad enough to lose there home they have had, at least they can have shelter for the winter. How do you know that they aren't racing pigeons? Is there anyway the landlord can get ahold of the old tenants and ask them if they are racing pigeons. How many birds are we talking about? Do they have any bands on there feet? Do you leave near south, New Jersey area or Philadelphia area? maybe I can take a look at them. min

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I just went to the squirrel board and DON'T take the suggestion of getting a BB gun. I'm sure your smarter than that and more animal friendly than that. On the squirrel board thread you said that they were city pigeons. You know city pigeons look just like homing pigeons. Since they don't fly away right away when you go outside, to me that seems more like they were pet pigeons than feral pigeons. But I may be wrong, lets hope others here can offer other advice. min

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are just regular city pigeons! NO bands no nothing. The tenant who lived here didn't like animals and hated them and tried shooing them away. Also put up tarping to get them away.. The landlord doesn't know what to do.

I was worried about my dogs possibly getting something but it has already been explained it won't, so not sure why you would bring that up. My concern is getting them gone in a humane way so I don't have to have bird crap on everything including my dogs feet, fur and in my house.

Once again can't close up shed/garage however the netting sounds like a possible plan! I am also going to get the things that spin in the wind and try putting them up.

The cd recording sounds a bit unrealistic. How am I supposed to play that loud outside all the time? Sorry but not too probable. I'm sure the neighbors would complain of the noise too haha.
We do have predators here, don't get me wrong, but most of them feed off the garbage etc. Its pretty sheltered back here. The only thing that comes back here is a cat who jumps off the fence to get in and she never bothers them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are just regular pigeons that fly around , stay on the roof occasionally, peck at garbage then come back to settle at night and morning but in the process they trash my yard. You're so insistant though. You are more then welcome to come get them if you want lol.
I don't think Pointy meant to actually shoot them, and there are some bb guns that only throw the bb's and don't break skin. It depends on how much you pump them. I don't think she meant harm.

G

·
Can you post some pictures of the birds where they are roosting/perching? It may help to figure out a way to get them to leave. Are there any nests in the area?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a short video but my phone won't let me send anything to email right now. They are perching on anything available in the shed area. Mainly the swingset top. They are planning on trashing the swingset but its not an easy task. Its cemented to the ground I believe.
They also perch on top of the BBQ, or anything put in there. I think I will just be looking into relocating them, and then buying some netting. Seems the only idea that night actually work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your pigeons have found somewhere comfortable to rest and roost by the sounds of it. Feeding may have introduced them and now they're comfortable they don't want to leave. I can only think you need to encourage them to rest elsewhere. Getting rid of the swing looks to be a good idea as the poop seems to be concentrated around there.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
They make a strip of little spikey things that business owners put on there signs and there building so pigeons won't rest there. I will do some research and see how much they cost. I totally agree that there is A LOT of poop and you shouldn't have to live that way. And yes, looking at the picture it looks like a big concrete area and probably in concrete. You can always have a person cut the legs off the swing set at the concrete, and then put a plant on top of that spot because it might leave sharp metal from the swing. But I totally agree, the swing set needs to go. min

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
We really need to come together and help her out. Can someone come up with something that she can do? I told her to come here from the squirrel board, confident that someone can come up with a solution because people on the squirrel board couldn't. Please, Please, Please. min

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We really need to come together and help her out. Can someone come up with something that she can do? I told her to come here from the squirrel board, confident that someone can come up with a solution because people on the squirrel board couldn't. Please, Please, Please. min
I have suggested that she could put netting over the place where there should be a door, to exclude the birds. If they have nowhere to go except an open yard, which offers no food supply, it's reasonable to expect that they'll get the message and move on.

John

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Mindy: We have her the best advice we could--Don't feed the birds--find a way if possible for the landlord to close that garage and wait for awhile to see if the pigeons slim down---by not feeding---there are no overhead wires for them to sit on so that is not the problem just seems to be that garage type of structure and I would certainly move that swing set up to the house further so that the birds can't sit on it and ruin it --if it isn't already ruined (the seats anyway)--she just moved in there and really don't know what the prior situation was although she has inquired about it--but don't feed them and if all else fails---try to trap a few--but then what would she do then?? Just don't encourage them---no food no water and scare them with a broom everytime she goes out there plus get some pigeon scare tools like the swinging wire or the eyes looking at birds from Foys---she has all the information she needs---so stop begging people to help her out when we already did --now its her turn to be proactive..c.hert

1 - 20 of 31 Posts