Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I just found this guy he can fly for a foot or two and he can flap his wings but he can’t fly like take flight if that makes sense? I’m new to birds so I don’t know what to call it. But yeah so I think his wings were clipped and he was someones pet maybe got released I’m not sure. He goes and sits on shoulders and I’ve had him for a while now but he seems to want to be in the wild but I’m not sure i think he wouldn’t be safe. Also if you have any tips on feed, and also how to make him perch on finger, cause I can never get him off me lol. Any and all tips and advice is appreciated !

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Sounds as if he is very tame, not normal for a wild pigeon to sit on your shoulders. You can give him a variety of seeds to eat. A dove or wildbirdseed mixture will be fine. They also love hemp and safflower seeds. They need grit in a seperate bowl for digestion and minerals. Fresh clean water every day. You can put apple cider vinegar in the drinking water twice a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Helps with digestion and keeping the good gut bacteria in place. Vitamins, esp calcium with added Vit D3 if he does not have direct exposure to sunlight. For greenery you can give spinach.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you show us a picture of him? and if you can a picture of his outstretched wing?
my pigeons will perch on my finger/hand if I gently put just their toes on my finger/hand (they walk the rest of the way on.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you show us a picture of him? and if you can a picture of his outstretched wing?
my pigeons will perch on my finger/hand if I gently put just their toes on my finger/hand (they walk the rest of the way on.)
Idk if I can get a picture of his wing at the moment just cause he doesn’t like hands and I don’t wanna mess with him right now but this is him. He doesn’t do much really he likes to mostly just chill in one spot idk if that’s normal. Also what grit should I order cause I went to the store and accidentally bought oyster shell grit which I now heard doesnt help the pigeons really. He hasn’t been going on my shoulder since the first time I took him out the cage. I got him a few days ago and when I took him out the cage in my yard and brought him on my screened in porch he wouldn’t leave my shoulder now he doesn’t want to get on. I’m kinda sad but maybe he will eventually just doesn’t want to at the moment anymore. Also I have him in an outdoor cage but I bring him inside my porch for a couple hours in the morning and at night and I hang out there with him is this good? How long should I let him have time out the cage a day? Not sure if I’m giving him enough time. Also he can only jump and hover and fly a little kinda like how a chicken can so I didn’t want to leave him in the wild. I think he was someones pet cause he goes on shoulders. He’s seeming to only go on new people’s shoulders now haha not mine at the moment. Any tips on how to bond with your pigeon/gain more trust?

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Oyster shell grit is very good for them. As a treat you can offer him chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. First put some in his food. When he starts eating them, offer some from your hands. In moderation, as peanuts have a high fat content. Pigeons just love peanuts.

It's normal for pigeons to be wary of your hands. Even some handraised babies will become afraid of hands. You can put your hand level just above his legs to entice hin to step on your hand.

You can put his cage outside in the mornings for a bit of sunlight exposure, bring in around lunchtime and let him spend time outside his cage in the afternoon. Some say 2 hours is enough time outside, but the more the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts