Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I picked this guy up about 10-12 days ago. Canker. He's a feral squeaker, so I started on flagyl. The canker was very bad, but it started resolving a few days ago and a huge chunk got dislodged from the throat. He wasnt eating much so I've been tube feeding but he's so skinny. I noticed when I tube fed him he couldn't take as much as I've known birds to take, the food would come up his throat and pour out his beak. So I'd stop. And for 3 days he sleeps all the time, that's all he does. When I tried tube feeding today food came back up but it was tinged with blood. And the food started coming up like RIGHT away, he couldn't take ANY of it. And he's open beak breathing, and sleeping. What is going on?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Possibly worms or coccidia. How is looking the droppings?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Droppings aren't like a starvation look (that bright green) so something was getting thru. White and a moss green color, kinda loose though.
Is not coccidia, that would make the droppings shapeless, mucous or creamy-aquous, without white part and often smelling bad and strong (you can see a photo on the "Chronicle ..." thread).

Breathing with noise can be caused by several things:
-bacterial disease (giving Doxycycline is usually the best)
-mites - give Invermectin
-aspergillus - give Itraconazole or better, Voriconazole (very expensive). Treatment lasts long
-canker on respiratory tract or pushing on respiratory tract
-worms

If you can't afford lab tests, the only solution is to try one one by one medicines for each one of these, with a pause of 12 -24 hours between them and see if appears any improvement. But giving so many toxic substances will inevitably:

-weaken or kill the bird
-make the disease advance if you don't hit it soon enough.

The blood, according to this table, can be caused by Hexamitiasis (a protozoa), Salmonella (bacteria), E. coli (bacteria), worms or coccidiosis:
http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms

So you may try an injectable antibiotic (lincospectin is my favorite) maybe also a dewormer, while keeping the treatment with metronidazole, ideally by injection, 5 mg / day for few days. Look for this human product:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=fd191c06-9d3b-4e46-9f79-90f6af614947
If you use this, you have to buy a bottle and throw it after for each administration (the substance doesn't resist after opening the bottle).

Giving injectable the medicines is more efficient (the substance enter the system better) and is preferable in such cases as canker, when lumps can block the digestive track.

The fact that vomits may be because of crop blockage. for this, fill the crop with like 10 ml of water using a syringe and tube and then massafe the crop to fragment the food and especially to remove the food on the body wall, where is the channel communicating with the gissard. Massage that area untill you feel no food is felt there, is very important. Don't try to take then the crop content outside, is very dangerous.

Then, feed the bird with a mix of 2 parts water and one part honey (like 5 ml) 3 times a day for few days.

And keep the bird on electric pad or other warm device, in a dark and quiet place, without air drafts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Be careful you do not aspirate the bird!!

If the food is overflowing from his beak it is definitely coming over his trachea!

If he is only gasping now you may already have gotten food into his lungs :(

Definitely check if his crop is emptying and if it has a blockage

You need to feed how much his crop take and ONLY when it is empty. Do not feed him what you think he should be eating, and do not give him more food it is not passing through.

You'd best switch to hand feeding peas rather than tube feeding. Much safer, and even with canker in his throat he should be able to swallow the little peas (frozen, defrosted and warmed) without prob.

Do not overfeed, Make sure his crop is working or things will get a lot worse for the poor guy. He is better off remaining skinny for longer than having food rot in his crop

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ok, I picked this guy up about 10-12 days ago. Canker. He's a feral squeaker, so I started on flagyl. The canker was very bad, but it started resolving a few days ago and a huge chunk got dislodged from the throat. He wasnt eating much so I've been tube feeding but he's so skinny. I noticed when I tube fed him he couldn't take as much as I've known birds to take, the food would come up his throat and pour out his beak. So I'd stop. And for 3 days he sleeps all the time, that's all he does. When I tried tube feeding today food came back up but it was tinged with blood. And the food started coming up like RIGHT away, he couldn't take ANY of it. And he's open beak breathing, and sleeping. What is going on?
Thank you for bringing the bird in and helping him out.
Are you keeping him warm? Please feed him small amounts of luke warm formula and wait until it digests. Give him water all the time in a shallow pan so that he may drink/learn to drink it whenever he needs it.
Give him 35 mg flagyl 20-30mins after feeding in the morning. Don't overdose because that may cause throwing up. If you're overdosing than that may cause him not to take feed. You may give something to help him out with it like pepto bismul or anything else that may be given to stop throwing up before feeding. Give him metro in morning and probiotics and vitamins/mineral supplements on alternative days in the evenings. Wait for few days if the treatment is helping unless the bird may need antibiotics...
Canker causes trachea/respiratory track to swell and may cause open beak breathing. Please observe him for more symptoms if he's showing any...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He probably wasn't taking much because the crop wasn't emptying. You are only supposed to feed after the crop empties. It sounds as though you have aspirated him and gotten it down his airway.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you don't wait for the crop to empty, and give more than he can take, then of course it will come back up. When that happens, it's easy for him to aspirate. That is why you need to be sure the crop is emptying, and that you don't give too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.