Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a wildlife rehabber and don't have a lot of experience with adult injuries. I received a morning dove in two days ago. History that I received was that the dove showed up on someone's porch and had been there a couple of days with a bruised wing and missing all but one tail feather. I triaged and saw no visible signs of bites but I always start antibiotics if there is any indication of cat attack. No tail feathers was my indication. I also gave it meloxicam for the wing (swelling at the elbow) and a possible break in one of the small bones. It began loosing a lot of feathers from it's body, mostly the back. It has a large area on it's back that has no feathers now and a good size open sore. Does anyone know if this will happen with a cat attack. We it be able to grow the skin back and feathers over it? I have but some Neosporin on it to keep infection down and hopefully make it feel better. I don't want this little one to drag on in pain if there isn't a chance for it to be released. It is eating, drinking and pooping and had some pretty good fight left in her. Hence the reason I'm hoping she can pull through. Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the meds sound good, it is hard to say what predator got him but with giving the antibiotic it really does not matter as long as you cover the cat bites. it could of been a dog or a bird of prey too. or even a crow or jays can pick on birds when they are down..so hopefully this one is not sick before a jay or crow got to it... if he just got caught and is healthy then he will recover fine and grow his feathers back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick response. She doesn't show it but I'm sure she hurts so I didn't want her in pain if there was no chance for release. We will keep up the supportive care and pray for the best. She really does seem to have a will to live. I am still concerned about her wing but that is a waiting game to see after it heals if she will be able to fly. But we are going to give her every chance to get there. If anyone has any good info on rehabbing an adult injured dove any info would be much appreciated. Especially on how to keep her from beating her injured wing around. It's very hard to immobilize it due to the open sore on her back. I might try to for a few days but it just adds more stress due to having to re-wrap to address the wound.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think with cleaning it and medicating is enough , I would leave it unwrapped. on the day you check it I would do xrays on her as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response. We were able to get her seen by a vet today. Her wing is broken and we have it wrapped now. I have uploaded a couple of pics of the feather loss. She is eating good and actually gaining weight so I guess she has a strong will to live. She has feathers missing up to and including just the start of the wing. It's hard to tell but she has a sore on the left side of her back about the size of a nickel.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts