Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came home from school today to find a dazed pigeon in my front-yard today. I was able to walk up and pick him up. I have treated wild birds to health in the past, but I believe this one is out of my ability for resources as well as diagnosis.

Assumption: Avian Canker aka Trichomoniasis
Symptoms: Closed eyes (slight goop), dizzy/disoriented, yellowish plaques in and out of mouth.

I tried to give it water through a syringe and I quickly noticed he was not using his nostrils to breathe but rather his mouth(was seen gulping air for approx 5 mins after water was administered, not mistaken for swallowing). I looked up various things that fit his symptoms and it looks to me like Canker.

So far I have tried: water through a syringe (oral), isotonic eye flush, and I applied a sterile ointment to the eyes (like for people who cannot close their eyes at night) to keep his eye from drying out.

I don't have canker tonic/metronidazole, and I'm not even 100% sure this is what the bird has. Is there anyone who could possibly take this bird and care for it, or point me in the direction of somewhere I can pick up a canker remedy?

Breed: Common Wild Pigeon
Assumption: Avian Canker aka Trichomoniasis
Symptoms: Closed eyes (slight goop), dizzy/disoriented, yellowish plaques in and out of mouth.

Looks very similar to this! I honestly have no clue though!

Please Help

·
Registered
276 Posts
I dont know what to say, the little guy needs medication like ronidazole or flagyl (metronidazole) as soon as possible. It does look caner like to me. Have you colloidal silver or eyebright to cleanse his eyes with? You'll need to keep him warm and hydrated/fed and somehow get your hands on some meds or better yet, a vet who is willing to help. Wishing you both the best luck :)
Is his digesting food well? What are his droppings like? Is his crop emptying?
Hows his posture? What exactly do you mean by dizzy?
Is he ruffled and shivery?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts