Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cutting down a large pine in Northeastern PA, two baby birds where found still in tact in their nest and unharmed. These strong willed survivors were rescued and are doing remarkably well. They love eating canned cat food and are growing quite rapidly. Please help in identifying which type of species they are. They are mainly grey in color with several layers of feathers some having slightly white tips. Their legs are quite beefy shall we say as well as their talons for their size. What is most distinct is the shape of their beaks. Their beaks are about the same size as their heads but are a little irregular in shape with a bump on the inner top. Could these baby birds be some type of pigeon or dove? Any help in identifying them is greatly appreciated as well as any tips in caring for them such as how long should they be kept before being let free, handling them, feeding them, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Difficulty finding local rehabilitator need immediate care advice

Unfortunately having difficulty in locating an rehabilitator in the remote location in Wayne County of Northeastern PA where these baby birds were rescued. Do you have any immediate advice as to their care?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
keep them warm, what do you have them in??
box or container, line with fleece if possible and put a heating pad under 1/2 to keep them warm and cozy.
dove eat differently than songbirds, they won't open up for you.
i usually tube feed with baby parrot hand feeding formula, you can also try to get some into them with a syringe down thier throat but it can be scary that way.
there are sticky's in the found a baby bird section. i will try to find them for you

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
were you able to get them any food??? you can also defrost frozen corn and peas and gently pry their beaks open and shove them down the backs of their throat.
i would keep a small bowl of water at least an inch deep and a bowl of mixed seed in the cage peck at it with your fingers and show them it's food

1 - 20 of 26 Posts